Author Topic: first shot out of a clean barrel  (Read 3012 times)

Online smylee grouch

first shot out of a clean barrel
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
It seems as though the first shot out of most of my rifles from a clean barrel will go as much as a  couple inches high depending on which gun I'm shooting. Just wondering if every one else has the same results from a clean dry barrel. When I'm going hunting I would rather not have to fire a fouling shot just to get the rifle to shoot its first shot where the group usually goes.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: first shot out of a clean barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »
What you are experiencing is pretty typical. At a match I always fire a fouling shot, wipe with a damp patch, dry and load. Good question for hunting.
Mark
Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
A clean bore always put the first shot right smack dab in the group with about every rifle I own.  Maybe it's because I'm such a lousy shot or maybe not; I don't know.  I don't like the idea of dirtying my barrel when I may not get a shot out in the bush.  If I don't get a shot then I can just leave it loaded until next time.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »
Hold 2" low!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:45:15 AM »
What you are experiencing is pretty typical. At a match I always fire a fouling shot, wipe with a damp patch, dry and load. Good question for hunting.
I shoot such a fouling load (40-50 grains under a patch) before matches and even before hunting too. Never had a corrosion issues, even with a week of hunting every day.

I know some who for hunting, they will load and hunt, to shoot that 1st shot from a clean bore. When they pracitce, they'll load the 2nd (or following ... ) shots, but will clean/swab/wipe the bore ahead of the patched ball. Therefore they're sighted in w/ a 'clean' barrel.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Our monthly group has a cold barrel target first thing every get together. Lay a quarter on the table to enter. Usually a big bull at 60 yards and a "scorer's target" at the bench.  Each shot is marked on the "scorer's target" and closest to center picks up the quarters. 

I've not seen the high first shot issue mentioned here except ones caused by 70 year old eyes and shooting a flinchlock.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
I've never noticed it either and I don't hunt with fouled barrels. The first shot is just always part of the group and I'm happy with them. But now that I'm thinking about it I don't doubt that it could happen, so the next time I walk out back to shoot, that first shot's poi from a clean barrel will be my testing criteria for that day.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
  My first shot is usually a flier.  Maybe it's because I'm too anxious and excited to smell that BP smoke.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 04:37:41 AM »
Some guns hit high, some hit low and usually a combination of windage thrown in too.  You should find out what it does and hold accordingly - make your first shot count.  At Rendezvous B.C., it's  satisfying to ring a 100 or 150yard gong with the 'fouling' shot. Might as well, as the 'trail' is likely only 20 to 21 shots long and that's only enough shooting to get a feller warmed up a bit. oh yeah- NO wiping!(needed)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V