Author Topic: Heavy shot loads in fowlers  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Heavy shot loads in fowlers
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
For "everyday use" I don't use the monster masher loads I posted above either. I generally never shoot over 1oz to 1 1/8oz  with the equivalent volume of 2ff. those big loads are a very specific use type of thing.

I want to get a skeet gun built up in 16  bore and figure to use 3/4oz to 7/8oz if I can.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Joe S

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »
I want to get a skeet gun built up in 16  bore and figure to use 3/4oz to 7/8oz if I can.

I'd be happy to build one for you, but with my current production rate of 2 1/2 years per gun, it's going to be about 10 years before I get to yours.  You'll probably get one quicker if you build it yourself.

I don't shoot monster loads for a couple of reasons:
1.  I'm a weenie.  Nothing would convince me to shoot 2 ounces of shot out of a six pound 20 gauge.
2.  I don't need to.

People are always talking about better technology to get longer ranges out of their weapons, but nobody ever talks about being a better hunter and getting closer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:29:32 PM by Jose Gordo »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
The larger bores i.e. 16 and up work extremely well with 3/4 to 1 oz loads and moderate charges. My 10 bore patterns much the same as my 20 with an oz of # 6 , however the shorter shot string makes it easier to hit moving objects.