Author Topic: Hunting turkeys with a rifle  (Read 3054 times)

HAWKEN

Hunting turkeys with a rifle
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
Do you live in a state that allows hunting turkeys with a rifle?  Unfortunately my home state of Indiana is shotgun only,  so if you do, what restrictions are in place?  Minimum or maximum caliber allowed?  Where would be your point of aim?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Keep yer powder dry.......robin  8)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Hunting turkeys with a rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
I have got three with a 40 cal using harder than average lead/ww round balls and one with a 54 flinter-got that one in the noggin. Two of the ones with the 40s were shot in the neck and the other in the head. You have to waite  for the right 25-30 yd. shot, for me anyway.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »
My state allows Turkey hunting with a muzzleloader. The reg.s read "Muzzleloading firearms" as a turkey weapon, no caliber restrictions for turkey. .44 and larger for deer.
I've killed 2 with a .54 and I just aimed at the body. I was surprised how little damage was done. Some 12 years ago I built a turkey rifle, Haines stock, 38" 'B' weight .40 caliber Rice barrel, Large siler and Davis set triggers. Dark browned steel furniture and a dark stock.
I had several good turkey spots to hunt at that time. First morning out I drove 65 miles, got on a bird gobbling before dawn, got in front of him after flydown and was waiting while he came up the narrow hardwood bottom. Just as he came into the open followed by a smaller bird, I cocked my rifle and the mainspring broke. By the time I got my rifle back in the game I was working 7 days a week. By the next year I had bad knee problems and had lost all my good hunting spots. Have done little turkey hunting since then.
Mainly it is too thick around here to try for many head shots. But if I had a steady prop and a clear shot I would try it. The only other shot is the body, about 1/3 the way up and try to angle the shot so it goes through the vitals and not just the breast.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 02:58:53 AM »
Here in PA Fall turkey is the rifle season (north of us in NY they hun Fall turkey with dogs) I got one last fall with a .36 flint with a center mass shot at about 40 yards, little bit of flopping but he was dead when I got to him. It was also opening day for squirrel and that was what I was set up for. Sometimes you get lucky.

Spring gobbler is shotgun only.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:40:44 AM »
Darkhorse, what state is that you are referring too?

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
Darkhorse, what state is that you are referring too?

Georgia.   
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
California says, shot only, and it has to be lead free. But you can harvest them with an air rifle. I'm not sure if the pellets have to be lead free as well. My guess would be they do.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
After trying a smoothbore with shot both in Georgia and Virginia, I started thinking "rifle".  I have a .40 and a .36 and either will do because sometimes it's difficult to get a turkey within range of a cylinder bore.  Any caliber muzzleloader is legal for turkey in Va; and in Ga, IIRC.  Minimum for deer in Ga. where I'm from originally, was .45 and is the same in va.  This works for me since I prefer the .45 and have collected more deer with that caliber than any other.  I've also used several .50s for deer and wouldn't let a turkey go by if I was carrying either caliber.  For insurance, just me, I'd aim at the body near the wing butt.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline taco650

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »
Minimum ML bore size for deer in GA is .44.  Turkey season is in the spring too.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
Minimum ML bore size for deer in GA is .44.  Turkey season is in the spring too.

That always made me feel better since I shoot .440" (and sometimes .445") ball in my .45s. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.