Author Topic: WD 40 "Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor"  (Read 9549 times)

nosrettap1958

Re: WD 40 "Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor"
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 05:18:43 AM »
Neither do I. It doesn't smell anything like kerosene. I use it to get between the cleaning water and the bare metal. That's it. And in that rule it does very well.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
Kerosene might give a feller a runny nose, but Ballistol has the King of Stinks.

Anybodyu get to use sperm whale oil in their lives without getting arrested?  I wonder what that stuff was like....

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
95% kerosene?  Poppycock!  WD40 smells nothing like kerosene.  Over a year ago I bought a gallon can of WD40 and it will probably last me for the duration, or maybe not.  I've never used WD40 as a rust preventative on any muzzleloader.  It works good on suppository guns, however.

Being incorrigibly lazy, nowadays when I come in with a dirty gun, I'll clean lock and bore but then leave the bore coated with WD40 and gun disassembled and the lock cleaned and lubed with a good gun oil.  I'll often leave it that way from one to several days until I get back down and finish it up, the bore dried and coated with Barricade.  The WD40 will protect it for the short term until the task is concluded.  I don't use it for any type of long term storage.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Smoketown

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »
Kerosene might give a feller a runny nose, but Ballistol has the King of Stinks.

Anybodyu get to use sperm whale oil in their lives without getting arrested?  I wonder what that stuff was like....

This guy has ...   ;)

Offline Dphariss

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Been using WD-40 since the service days (almost 50 years). Hasn't ruined any stock finishes yet.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »
I am getting a chuckle out of all of the regular WD-40 talk.  An in-law of mine from Houston worked for Pennzoil.  Pennzoil supplies the raw products to WD-40, or at least did at the time.  They also made the exact same formula labeled "PZ-1" Pennzoil. 

He told me that WD-40 is 95% Kerosene.  Yep, plain old Kerosene.  Smell WD-40 and go smell some Kerosene.  Smell familiar? 

That said, oil products and water don't mix, so water displacing it does well.  That said, there is no "magic" in there. 

I tend to keep that in mind when I apply it somewhere.  Ask yourself, "If I am using WD-40 to protect my bore from rust, would I use Kerosene in the same spot?"  I have even seen people recommend that "magic" WD-40 can be used to wipe down kids' high-chair trays.  YIKES!

BTW, of course it will ruin a stock finish.  Why would someone wipe it on there?  It is not a wood protectant, and I don't think it claims to be.  Would you wipe Kerosene on a stock finish??

Hope this keep things in perspective.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Perhaps "some" stock finishes are damaged by it. Mine never have been.  I have wiped off a dirty stock with WD40, then later with a clean cloth - I have received damage to the finish.

What will remove some oils and stain, is the foaming black powder solvent sold by "Butches Bore Shine".  A dribble came from the vent on my purchased .32, ran down the butt stock and left a

white line for a track - it had removed the oil and stain down to the maple.  I do not know the make of the oil on that stock. 

My stocks not touched by WD40 - were True oil finished stocks.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 01:57:23 AM »
 My current BEST rust protectant it Fluid Film. I use it inside the barrel and the exterior metal. It doesn't harm finish, it's cheap, and it works. I sometimes run a soaked patch down the barrel without cleaning when I can't clean right away and it keeps the fouling soft and no rust.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 05:26:40 AM »
What's Fluid Film?  Where do you get that stuff, at a camera store of something?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 08:24:59 AM »
I used sperm oil in the early 70's.  I expect I got it from my new friend, Lester H. Hawkes, who had been shooting smoke-poles since the late 40's for sure, but likely before that as he grew up in the hills of Tennessee, before moving West to Montana.
A stint in the Merchant Navy, shipping out of Seattle iirc, during the WW11, interrupted his BP shooting for a while.

The sperm oil was OK - nothing special for me.  I think Track's Mink Oil is just as good, as well as Neetsfoot oil.  Bear grease also worked, but in those years I was just learning about tight loads.  Today, mink oil and Neetsfoot oil work for all-day shooting, no cleaning needed, just as when using a water based oil.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:28:08 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
 Fluid Film is a rust inhibitor originally developed for ships and oil rigs in salt water. It is  made with "wool wax" which I call lanolin. It is available at John deere dealers and on line. It is also used to rustproof cars. I buy it by the gallon and brush it on the underside of my lawn mower decks and other places. It seems to clean fouling so well I'm going to experiment using just it and no water next time I clean.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Not to muddy the water but has anyone used Break Free CO ("collector" for long term firearms storage) and does it react with wood finishes?  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014659879/break-free-collector-long-term-gun-storage-preservative-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid
Molly, I've wondered the same about the WD Long Term. Is this a new trend in lubes or just new discovery of old products?

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
Kevin:

I do not know how long the "specialty" products have been around.  They are packaged in cans that are not colored the same as the traditional WD40 blue and yellow cans.  I think the big chains might not sell it.  I found it at a local hardware store and they had all the WD products on the same shelf.

Today will be a good day to start a little "test"....wet and humid all week.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
There has been a lot of rust prevention storage products on the market for a long time.  The multi types of WD 40, not so long and seeing all of the different products by this company reminds me of the many new spam varieties that are on the supermarket shelves. ;D

I have seen one procedure that was used time after time in the bores of longrifles both antique and older contemporary pieces that literally was a complete failure.

Finding an old oil soaked cloth patch down at the breech end is a very bad thing to do!!
Joel Hall

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:17 AM »
I clean my rifles with water and a bit of dishwashing soap. After wiping it as dry as possible I run WD-40 down the bore to get rid of any water. I finish with Mobil 1 synthetic oil and have never had a problem. Also clean the stock with WD 40 without damage.
Mark
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:35:27 AM by smokinbuck »
Mark