Author Topic: Southern percussion gun?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline OLUT

Southern percussion gun?
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
I need help in identifying the location and a possible maker for this old percussion combination gun. Perhaps  the unique characteristics will provide clues for some ALR forum member:
* The iron hardware is mounted on a heavy duty, shotgun butt walnut stock with sling swivels (that looks to be salvaged from a European gun?)
* Lollipop tang
* Handmade left & right locks mounted onto a strange iron top piece
* Unique trigger plate arrangement
* The latch for the wooden patchbox is merely a metal strip with a spring riveted to it for tension. Note the tiny mounting hole that was bored through the    now-broken latch
I have collected percussion over & under guns for more than 50 years and have inspected hundreds of them, but this one has me stumped!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Southern percussion gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:56 PM »
Definitely Southern and looks like hand forged locks.  Very interesting gun. 
I don't think you will ever see many like it.  Thanks for posting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:05:01 AM »
I wouldn't be quick to attribute this gun a "southern" origin. The tang has an expanded round tip for the anchor screw that appears southern, but the individuality of this piece, traces of checkering at wrist, catchers for the ramrods, etc. could also suggest western NY, possibly lower Canada, or even Michigan where I've seen a number of "different" looking superposed guns show up.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
Anyone else think the stock may have been on another gun first?  The checkering could have gotten scrubbed off the top and sides of the wrist when it was reshaped to this gun.  The border line where the checkering extended under the cheek piece is pretty deep, suggesting that the rest of the checkering was also pretty deep.  So, I'm not suggesting a restock, rather that when this gun was put together they repurposed an old stock.  If we could see pictures of the buttplate, that may tell part of the story.   Neat gun !
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Per Brent English's comments, I totally agree that a repurposed European  stock was used. Per his request, here are two butt views of a variety of European guns. From the top to bottom:
* Gun in question
* John Manton English double, converted from flint
* Original Hungarian flint double shotgun by Kirner of Pesten ( before Buda & Pest were merged into one town)
* Typical Belgian percussion double ( my old hunting gun)
Again thanks for any comments, as I am here to learn

how to upload photos in internet

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
I guess I am all wet but I don't see anything about that gun that looks southern except possibly the tail of a lollipop tang. Is that what makes it look southern? Those hammers look more like something from Bedford PA. Have no clue as to the rest of the gun.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
I think the left hammer is from the gun that donated the stock, maybe Belgium or at least continental, and that the right hammer is "home made" along with the rest of the gun. I love these weird ones.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:28 AM »
I don't see "southern" either. Looks like something built in Europe a long ways off the beaten path.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?