Author Topic: "Make-do" round ball patches?  (Read 3109 times)

Naphtali

"Make-do" round ball patches?
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Patched round ball shooters may experiment with using different patch thicknesses, or RB diameters, or exhaust their supply of either component. I expect that most of these shooters have [tried??] jury-rigging loads by using more than one patch when loading - that is, double patching thinner cloth patches to emulate the thicker patch they prefer or exhausted.

As best you can, patched RB shooters, how does such jury-rigging effect accuracy, consistency, and perhaps velocity?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: "Make-do" round ball patches?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
I've certainly done this before and it appears to work okay.  I prefer "one" thick patch but don't really worry about it if I have to use two, instead.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:52:09 PM »
I tried it decades ago and didn't get as good of results as what I was hoping for.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »
Years ago when I was still wet behind the ears with respect to ML rifles, I used 2 patches of different material to get a perfect fit for the nominally .495" RB (.497" in fact) in my .50cal. Mowery rifle.  Accuracy was excellent, but went to a single.018" (compressed) pillow ticking patch when I could no longer duplicate my original, i.e., double, patch thickness.                                   
Paul W. Brasky

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:37:39 AM »
Ran out of patches once years ago. Pulled my T shirt out of my pants and came home with a row of holes across my belly. Tried to use 2 at a time but didn't have a lot of luck, a good laugh but that was it.
Mark
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:59:30 AM »
My grandad said the only real whipping his mother ever gave him, was for cutting bullet patches out of his shirt tail.

Hungry Horse

Turtle

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
 I watched a scruffy  good old boy with a ratty longrifle at a shoot use his t-shirt for patching because he forgot his. People made fun of him till he won!  At the prize ceremony someone gave him a new primitive shirt.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »
Late last year, while shooting our trail alone, I ran out of patches, so I started walking back out, and along the way, picked up dropped pre-cuts that I found along the trail.  I used them all, and never missed a shot.  But I know that all the folks who shoot our trail use good and appropriate material for their patches.  Double patches, as when you are trying to use a .50 cal ball in a .54 cal rifle, don't work.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:56:56 AM »
As the target notation says, I used 2, .017" denim patches with a .662" ball in my .69.  That runs .662" + .034" + .034" = .730".  the groove to groove diameter of that barrel is .690" = .010"+ .010" = .710",  thus the .010" compression each side in the bottom of the grooves seems to have worked. Note, I used only a light 3 drams, 1,200fps load - low pressure lets you get away with this sort of Tomfoollery. Except for the flinched shot way off in the boondocks, not a bad 5-shot group at 50yards, 6 counting the 'flyer'- lol- tight-eyed flyer it was, too!

So- does it work - yes - IF you run VERY low pressures.  Increase the pressure as Taylor noted, and no - not bloody likely going to be happy.

Almost as good as normal patches and balls.

facebook image upload
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:00:15 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V