General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Moulds

(1/3) > >>

JCKelly:
Looking for people's experience with Raypine moulds vs Lee vs Lyman, round ball only.

Lyman has always worked for me.

I do have to be careful  with Lee moulds to get them into register so the ball halves aren't shifted.

Does anyone having similar experience with Lee care to comment on how Raypine works for him?

davec2:
JC

I have several Rapine molds.  Excellent quality and available in many sizes and types I could not find elsewhere.  They are aluminum, so they require a little care in handling...but then again, they don't rust either.  I have several of Ray's bag molds as well and like them much better than the ones Track sells.

Harnic:
I use mostly Lyman moulds, but bought a couple Lee rb moulds a few years back.  I spray them after every use with spray silicon lube which dries & don't wash it off before the  next use.  The balls drop out cleanly & the mould halves mate much better because of the silicon lube on the alignment pins.

hanshi:
I've never had a problem with Lee molds but then I take care of them.  I have several that are quite old and in good service.  I like Lyman rb molds also and have several.  They have become quite costly, however.

Harnic:

--- Quote from: Flintr on April 26, 2009, 03:58:28 AM ---  I like Lyman rb molds also and have several.  They have become quite costly, however.

--- End quote ---

That was why I tried the Lee moulds & am pleasantly surprised.  They work great & with care should last the rest of my life!  I'm going to a gun show tomorrow to find another Lee r/b mould, I need a .535" d/c mould for my 54 cal Hawken I'm starting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version