Author Topic: Original 18th Century Jaeger , Johan Solts in Krems , Need lock  (Read 4581 times)

DanWest

Need help in finding an original flintlock for this gun.  Made by Johan Solts who worked from 1795-1805? in Krems Austria
The lock mortise measures 4 3/8" long x 7/8" tall.  Obviously converted to percussion later.
Any help in pointing me to someone or site is appreciated.

create image url

n stephenson

Re: Original 18th Century Jaeger , Johan Solts in Krems , Need lock
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:15 AM »
Sir, Welcome and, thank you for posting!! I am sorry that I cant help with your lock info. but, I wanted to comment on the VERY beautiful cheekpiece and carving . The whole piece is  a nice  rifle but, I was really drawn to the cheekpiece and carving. Thank you for showing it.  Nate :) :D ;D

DanWest

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
Thanks Nate for the reply.
It really is a beauty and in of restoration.  I've owned it for 15 years or so and just have put it on the back burner as far as restoration goes. 
Am using the styling to build my grandson (12) a cross-over as he is right handed and left eye dominant and cannot close or wink his left eye. 
Hopefully someone will help me come up with a source for a flint for this jewel.
Dan

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
If you are desiring to get a lock that is a correct style for the late period Jaeger, it is going to be a bit of a challenge. There are no production locks on the market that fit this Germanic 1800 + or - period.  You might consider searching for photos of a lock from a similar rifle and use it in placing advertising in any and all publications relating to Muzzle Loading.  I would prefer an original lock that is a mediocre fit to a newly made one that lacks appropriate details.  You have a pretty nice rifle. If restoration is attempted, it deserves first class work.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
I would be looking for someone to build the correct lock. There are several people that can do it. Your odds of finding an original are slim and none and Slim is outta town.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
Yes, there certainly are some folks capable of making you a lock but I suspect those who have the skill are going to charge you in access of $1000.00 to do it in a style correct to your rifle. Correct restoration is not an easy task or one rushed into.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
 I personally have a hard time justifying a reconversion to flint on a gun that was likely used long enough as a percussion to wear out, or break the converted lock. This was not converted by some hayseed, look at the beautifully formed bolster. It was likely converted by the original smith, or someone in his shop.
 To me ignoring the guns history after its percussion conversion seem a little disingenuous. I'm not just postulating here, I own a very nice Lehigh that was converted to percussion for its trip west. I would love it to be a flinter, but have elected to embrace it history instead. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
Percussion or flint, still stuck looking for or having a custom lock made to fit and in correct style. I agree the European conversions are beautifully executed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline albert

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:09:11 AM »
Hi , Dan , been a while , with your knowledge of tooling ,why don't you build it yourself , if you need any steel ,I  have anything you can use , if you  got rid of your equipment , you could also use my mill,lathe ,and whatever else .
 Albert.
j albert miles

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
My advice is to leave it alone.  Unless done by the very best, the restoration work won't equal the original quality.  I would enjoy it for what it is.  I might add that if done by the best, the cost will exceed the value of this gun many times over. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Jim Kibler:  did you do the relief carving on the cheek side of this one?  Ha!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »
My advice is to leave it alone.  Unless done by the very best, the restoration work won't equal the original quality.  I would enjoy it for what it is.  I might add that if done by the best, the cost will exceed the value of this gun many times over.

How do you know it was EVER a flintlock? Single screw to hold the lock or at
least the magnified pictured I just pulled up didn't show a second one.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
The whole styling of the gun and lock seems pre-1780.
Andover, Vermont

DanWest

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
Hey Albert,
Good to hear from you.  Yes I could build the lock , but really was hoping to find an original lock that would be close. 
I could take a new smaller lock and alter it or even build it from the plate up but, 1st option was to find one close.
Hope you are well.  I still think fondly of your father and the day I spent with him years ago.
Best ,Dan

DanWest

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
Hey Bob ,
Shumway had done some research years ago on this gun from what the previous owner said as he sent it to him for evaluation.  His (Shumway's) research and response was that Johan Solts worked only from about 1795 to 1801 or 2.   I have the paper Shumway sent back with the gun.
 Seems to me even 1802 was a few years before percussion came along. 

Online JV Puleo

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »
He's listed in Der Neu Stockel, spelled Soelts, in Krems, 1799-1809. There is no guarantee those are his total working years and are probably just a reflection of whatever source the entry was based on. The source for the Stockel entry is Schedelmann, Hans, Die Grossen Buchsenmacher published in 1972. I'd want to consult that book to see what it has to say. My experience is that none of these directories are strictly accurate and often simply repeat earlier errors. What we can be reasonably certain of is that he was working in that time frame - whether earlier or later is a matter of conjecture.