Author Topic: "Atchison Hawken" to be auctioned  (Read 15295 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: "Atchison Hawken" to be auctioned
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »
A shovel,hmmmmm,perhaps but one that would dig a hole,move rocks,chop thru roots,ect..A shovel you wouldn't be afraid to use to bang a stake in the ground with,one that would always be there ready for a days work.For sure not that shovel some rich wana be knucklehead who used a silver or gold plated one who broke ground with it and it now resides in a glass case.I get your point but there's something to be said for simple,functional rifles.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
HH  maybe this rifle is a show horse.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 12:30:38 AM »
I  like this rifle. I'd be interested to know exactly what the signature is on the barrel.

I have seen some pretty weird stuff that came out of the Hawken shop that was intended for the local trade, I've come to the conclusion years ago that anything is possible when it comes to a gun with the Hawken stamp on the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »
Mike the Hawken brothers did a lot of repair and replacement work, a barrel with their stamp on something atypical of their work might only mean they rebarreled the gun.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 01:52:06 AM »
I  like this rifle. I'd be interested to know exactly what the signature is on the barrel.

I have seen some pretty weird stuff that came out of the Hawken shop that was intended for the local trade, I've come to the conclusion years ago that anything is possible when it comes to a gun with the Hawken stamp on the barrel.
Mike
I believe that is a script rendition of J & S Hawken
 Don't know if anyone can share a picture but my recollection is the signature is similar to the  script signed S Hawken flinter made in Ohio before Sam got to St Louis
  Maybe Jim Gordon's books include some photos of that rifle. Been too many years for my foggy brain

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »
There's supposed to be a couple S.Hawken rifles with script from the shop in St.Lewis as well.I have not seen them but the TOW plan for a fullstock has a drawing of the script signature as well as the stamped one.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »

Mike
I believe that is a script rendition of J & S Hawken
 Don't know if anyone can share a picture but my recollection is the signature is similar to the  script signed S Hawken flinter made in Ohio before Sam got to St Louis
  Maybe Jim Gordon's books include some photos of that rifle. Been too many years for my foggy brain

That's right, Don.

The auction site has been updated with additional pictures.  This is the name engraved on the barrel.

Phil Meek

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
This is an attractive rifle, for sure. But, I agree with my buddy Arnie Dowd that there is something special about a plainer, working rifle with the romantic history of the Tobin Hawken.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
Interesting. That shotgun lock is certainly unusual choice, but it is what it is.

I have made 2 of these odd looking locks over the years. One was not long ago
for someone on this forum.

Bob Roller

Offline Herb

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:31 AM »
My friend Kevin from Texas was just here and said you  made one for him.
Herb

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »
Here is four Hampshire County Rifles, that wear that ugly lockplate. I think these rifles were made about 1830.  Must of been a wagon train went through here giving them away. Someone on here about a year ago, said these locks were some of the first percussion locks.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
I had always "assumed" they were SXS shotgun locks. Looks like they were fairly common for use on rifles as well. Learn something new all the time.
 They sure remove a lot of wood where you could really use it.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
I actually think this is a pretty rifle. Late period for sure, but unusual and in excellent condition. I started out building or maybe I should say trying to build Hawken rifles in 1981. I liked them then and I still like them. I have parts here to build a couple more, we'll see. One thing I will point out is how flat the tang comes off the standing breech. There is no hump there. The first thing my mentor drilled into me was not to build a humpy Hawken. If I remember correctly that type of set trigger was available back in the day. Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »
I actually think this is a pretty rifle. Late period for sure, but unusual and in excellent condition. I started out building or maybe I should say trying to build Hawken rifles in 1981. I liked them then and I still like them. I have parts here to build a couple more, we'll see. One thing I will point out is how flat the tang comes off the standing breech. There is no hump there. The first thing my mentor drilled into me was not to build a humpy Hawken. If I remember correctly that type of set trigger was available back in the day. Tim
I recall seeing that set trigger before as well. Somebody ought to repop that one as it's simple as all get out. Maybe it was on an old single shot cartridge gun I saw the trigger.....cain't remember. ::)
 Anyway, I like that gun too. That late period had some real art to it just as the early guns did, just a little different is all.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 06:24:34 AM »
Looking at the auction site and the full pics of the rifle it has beautiful lines. I found the book written by James E Perkins about Thomas Tobin Frontiersman on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0967556201/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1503285481&sr=1-1

A little expensive but also AbeBooks has a few copies,

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9780964405684&n=100121501&cm_sp=mbc-_-9780964405684-_-new

I think anyone who is a student of the Hawken rifle should enjoy that book.