Author Topic: miss janet ....1805, second try  (Read 2796 times)

altankhan

miss janet ....1805, second try
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:14:28 AM »
REVISED PHOTOS: A couple weeks ago I got ahold of a rather interesting rifle.  It seems to be a southern gun -- high, thin wrist, significant drop in comb, etc. -- though I would like opinions on this ... the rifle is signed in what appears to be pink fingernail polish on the lock side of the stock:  Miss Janet.    Miss Janet has a 36" barrel of about .38 cal.  three silver inlays (0ne on cheekpiece) and rather late brass triggerguard and buttplate.  The plain grain stock seems to have been cut just at the end of the rear ramrod thimble -- and the forestock is of tightly curly maple -- off another old gun.  This repair seems to have been made long ago.  What makes all of this even more interesting is the lock -- held on with two lock bolts and a nicely shaped sideplate.  The the anterior of the lock is stamped: Richmond 1805     Other markings may have been lost when it was converted to percussion or by other wear -- or reasons.

the lock dimensions are approximately 5 7/16" by 1 1/16

What this appears to be is a lock from a Virginia Manufactory (Type 1) Rifle.  According to Moller (American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol. 11; and Cromwell's The Virginia Manufactory of Arms) only 32 complete rifles were made in 1805.  The existing rifle (stock, barrel, hardware) are clearly later -- though the barrel may be fairly early.  The original rifles were of aboput .492 cal. and had a rattlesnake patchbox.  Some later production rifles, after 1811 used locks from earlier produciton, though most of these were likely from 1806-09.  At any rate, this appears to be the remains of a very early Virginia Manufactory rifle lock -- and an example of the recycling of a military rifle lock on a civilian arm of a later era.   I'd love to hear any opinions on this theory or comments on the style of the rifle and relation to any particular area. Here are a few photos

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:11:01 AM by altankhan »

Offline Collector

Re: miss janet ....1805, second try
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »
Neat lock!  I'm not an expert, but it looks like it's pieced together.  Pretty sure that you;re right- a half stock converted to full stock.   It appears that the stock has been refinished, probably to get better color match.  Trigger guard and forearm inlay(s) look out of place,  like much later add-ons.  I don't know, but it has a lot of attributes of someone's idea of a how to 'restore' an incomplete piece and 'improve' it to make it 'better,' at the same time.  Then again, it's possible that some long ago owner was a making the improvements himself.   I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.  All in all, you'll need more detailed photographs to gain a more specific opinion on this piece.   Good luck!  BTW, have you taken it apart? 

altankhan

Re: miss janet ....1805, second try
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:15:05 AM »
Thanks -- the forestock is definitely a later add on -- whether to replace a broken forestock or -- as you suggest -- to create a fullstock out of a half stock -- though my inclination is the former. The inlays, when looked at in good light seem original -- or were added on long ago -- also, I did not mention that the tang is almost 4 1/2 inches long, with a round spear-point end.  The guts of the lock are all there -- I have not had the barrel out, which might shed some light on the 1/2 stock question.  I just find it incredible that possibly one of those 32 rifle locks marked Richmond 1805 would turn up on something like this over 200 years later ... but I guess that is the part of the mystery such objects hold for us mortals of flesh and blood ...