Author Topic: Barrel Inletting  (Read 7909 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barrel Inletting
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Future trick is to JB weld or solder a flat plate atop the top flat at the rear of the barrel. This should extend side to side enough that you can see any slant. Also this will allow you to pull the barrel straight up and not lever it.

Also go very lightly with inletting black. Accept that full contact on sides can be good, not something to remove.

For now, soak the heck out of the barrel channel sides and pull them inward with a slotted bicycle inner tube for tension. Don't over do it. Let it dry and see how it's doing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline PPatch

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
Everything has been going well with the inletting process till I started to notice a few things. I've got a bit of a twist going on when I tap the barrel in place to get good contact with the black it twists a hair. As my progress has gone on I've done what I thought was right and just removed the black areas with my chisel. Sounds easy enough eh? The black on the barrel and what is smudged on the wood made it hard to see the gap developing at the rear 1/3 of the barrel. I found it with a flash light. Everywhere else is good. Well at least it's a consistent 1/32" or so. Consistency is what I've been striving for!!!  ;D I have full contact with the bottom flat for the first 2" and sporadic for the first 1/3 of the barrel. I really don't know how I did it. I just scraped the black off. Will I need to do something to fix this or once it's full down in the stock will it  look better?

One thing to remember about blackening and cutting in inlays, including barrels... the black will continue to show long past the point you should have stopped. One must continually check progress as you work, this might mean, and often does, removing all black to check where you are at. I know this because...  :o

Rich Peirce's remarks are the right fix for your current gaps and twist btw. Keep that barrel in the stock when you aren't working on it.

Also, do not expect to get total barrel to wood contact all along the length of the barrel, just make sure you have some contact, especially at the breech and muzzle ends.

You're doing fine, don't become discouraged.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

mustanggt

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:53 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I appreciate it.  I assume wetting with water the barrel inlet and using the inner tube without the barrel in to close the gap?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:37 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I appreciate it.  I assume wetting with water the barrel inlet and using the inner tube without the barrel in to close the gap?

No, the barrel should be in the stock.  Without the barrel in place you will likely crack/break the sides of the forearm when you cinch down with the surgical tubing.  Also, without the barrel in place you will close up areas that don't need closing up.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

mustanggt

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 05:54:04 AM »
Ron, thanks for setting me straight. This is such a huge learning curve for me. All I have going for me is a desire to make one. I thought I knew how to operate the tools properly but I see I don't. I will persevere and make a decent rifle. Now that I learned that Jim Kibler is putting out such a nice kit I should have gone that way first but I didn't know about his kit at the time I bought this one. I will get one of his soon and make a nice squirrel rifle. 

mustanggt

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »
For now, soak the heck out of the barrel channel sides and pull them inward with a slotted bicycle inner tube for tension.

What is a slotted inner tube? Is it an inner tube I split  and cut to make thinner strips?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
You may be using way too much inletting black and are getting false readings.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

mustanggt

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
You are totally right Mike. I knew that you shouldn't use too much but apparently I did. I'm going to switch to something else.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
You are totally right Mike. I knew that you shouldn't use too much but apparently I did. I'm going to switch to something else.
You don't need to switch, you just need to use less.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

mustanggt

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
Thank you Mike. How long should I leave the rubber tubing on to bring the sides in a little closer? One day? Two?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »
I'd get the barrel and tang set in  and pinned before I worry about anything else.

mustanggt

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
Alright, will do. Thank you.