Author Topic: Question about straight barrels  (Read 1504 times)

Offline webradbury

Question about straight barrels
« on: August 23, 2017, 03:14:31 AM »
Seeing as how the majority of rifles seem to sport swamped barrels, my question is, when and in what application were straight barrels used? I'm aware that one disadvantage, when compared to swamped barrels is balance by weight reduction at the muzzle. Were/are there any advantages to a straight barrel? Were straight barrels originally used where economy was important to the builder/buyer?

I ask simply because, well, I have no clue! Will
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Question about straight barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:16:02 AM »
Straight barrels became common toward the end of the flint period.  Sometimes original percussion rifles are found with mildly swamped barrels.  Anything after 1810 could have been made with a straight barrel I suppose.  It varies.  But I'd not use a straight barrel in a 1700s rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Question about straight barrels
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
Most all original longrifles had tapered or tapered and flared (swamped) barrels.    You do see straight barrels in the 19th century when they were mass produced.    Target rifles tend to have had straight (or straighter) barrels because weight is an advantage in a target rifle.   Also,  original barrels tended to be heavier than the barrels we use today.    Straight barrels are used today mostly in target guns for their weight and rigidity.