General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Woodworking Hand saw

(1/5) > >>

JCKelly:
An Englishman named Paul Sellers has a fine book and a series of blogs on the use of various handtools - planes, scrapers, &c. I'd say he's the early 20th century version of that early 19th century guy on PBS' Woodworker series.
If you inlet your sliding wood patchbox lid with a milling machine you will NOT find this of interest.
Here is how to sharpen a woodworking handsaw. As I have a couple of Grampa's that have become dull, it is of interest to me.

https://paulsellers.com/2016/04/28348/

mfharper:
I've been following Paul Sellers for a good while. He has lots of stuff posted up on YouTube now as well. Great information there on sharpening chisels too.

WKevinD:
Mr Sellers has a series of videos showing sharpening and selection of spokeshaves. These have opened up a whole new direction for me in shaping the whole front end on rifles/ fowlers. A sharp spokeshave removes thin ribbons of wood from the curliest of maple and splintery walnut leaving a smooth surface. It is faster and does less damage to the wood than rasps and files.
Kevin

WadePatton:
Me too as well. Paul has taught me lots.

I built the workbench as he did (older series)-the one he did out in the yard.  Will use same techniques for any next one too.  Simple, solid, low materials cost, yet not too difficult to disassemble for moving.

--- Quote from: mfharper on December 21, 2017, 01:42:11 PM ---I've been following Paul Sellers for a good while. He has lots of stuff posted up on YouTube now as well. Great information there on sharpening chisels too.

--- End quote ---

Pukka Bundook:
An old friend back home, (Joiner and cabinet maker) always maintained the best hand saw was a Henry Disston D8.   Made in the USA.  :-)
He was a joiner in the days when if you wanted sash windows, you ripped the wood down and planed it before you started.

Ken Roberts. a very fine man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version