Author Topic: .290 ball mold  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Bill Weedman

.290 ball mold
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:46 AM »
Where would I find or who would make a .290 ball mold. I just acquired a old rifle and now need a small ball mold before I can shoot it.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: .290 ball mold
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »
The closest I have found was a Lee mold in .285. I know that you can get what you need from Jeff Tanner. He is in England and does a nice job very reasonably.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dave R

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:48 AM »
Wweedman,
What does it mike land to land?

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:59 AM »
One of the Missouri Boys (he was set up next to Maupin at the CLA Show) makes .290 bag molds and I bought one of them last year.  Sorry I can't remember his name.  He makes some real nice accoutrments.  You could also just buy a jar of .29 cal. buckshot, I did.  James Levy

James Levy

Three balls

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:43:48 AM »
Larry Callahan, is his name. You may call him at 1 (636) 475 7444, if he's busy, he'll get back to you. You can also order from his website
bagmolds.com   Very nice guy, great to do business with, fine product, fast turnaround. You won't be sorry, I promise you. Well I guess I don't know his website, just type Larry Callahan Rifles and Accoutrements, and hit search.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:50:09 AM by Three balls »

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:15:54 AM »

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
Lee does not list the .285 mold.

I have ordered molds from Jeff Tanner before and that is likely what I will do. Jeff makes a good mold.

I have not made a cast of the bore. I used drill bits as a plug gauge and a .290 bit will go in but a .295 will go in about 3/4 inch and stop. I believe that the bore is coned for easier loading.

I have used buckshot before but I would rather use soft lead. Buckshot is hardened with antimony. Also anything other than #4 bad OO is hard to find. Casting will be easy.

Thanks for your help

Bill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
I have used buckshot before but I would rather use soft lead. Buckshot is hardened with antimony.
Hornady used to sell buckshot that was soft lead and came in 1 lb containers.  You might try to locate that.  It's not usually advertised.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Hornady does not list it and the websit now says it is hardened with antimony. The bore cleaned up well and with further measurement I thin that I need a .285 mold. Lee no longer makes anything that size and the buckshot molds are not the right size.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
I have used buckshot before but I would rather use soft lead. Buckshot is hardened with antimony.
Hornady used to sell buckshot that was soft lead and came in 1 lb containers.  You might try to locate that.  It's not usually advertised.
I've never found any buckshot that wasn't listed as hardened from any source anywhere. I looked for a while, but it has been a year or two.

Personally don't care to cut that many sprues (Tanner or Callahan mould) and was going to call Eddie May (ball maker) when I actually get the .30 bore ready to shoot. Interested in what you come up with either way. I have no idea if Eddie has that ball size in inventory or not, I won't bother him until I have cash ready.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:27:35 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
You can make a simple sizing die to whatever diameter you want.  An oversized ball will come out with a belt, the belt does not matter.  It will load and shoot fine.