Author Topic: exploding powder horns  (Read 17496 times)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: exploding powder horns
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
After once finding the plug on my horn hanging by it's tether cord during a woodswalk, I've cut the tethers on all my horns on the theory that if the plug is held between my teeth while measuring out powder, I will replace it and not forget.

Gene,

Good Idea, I don't tether my spout plugs to my horns either and for the very reason you stated. Over the many years that I have been shooting muzzle loaders and being range officer for matches I have noticed that the shooter most likely to not replace his spout plug is the shooter with the plug tied to the horn. I don't hold the plug in my teeth while loading, but in my hand. Kind of hard to forget the plug in your hand when you go to shoot.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

BPB

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:58 AM »
Had one go this year at  shoot.

Flintlock on the bench, rifle failed to fire. After a few times of re-priming a good amount of dust had accumulated on the bench.
 sparks from the flint and flash set off teh powder and the horn.

Shooter was burnt, his arm and hair cooked off pretty good.
It'a the dust that gets ya, all those little spills.

bpb

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
Hmm makes a good case for not loading at the shooting bench eh??

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »
Hmm makes a good case for not loading at the shooting bench eh??

Yes, nearly a replay of my earlier post!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
Other then some folks thinking it is convenient to load at the shooting bench, I wonder what they think the loading bench is used for?

Unfortunately people who are new to this game go to the range and see others performing what one would term "safety hazard techniques" and they copy it, not knowing any better until they may have the good fortune of being set straight by a Range Safety Officer if they attend a shoot where there are RSO's...

Also, it doesn't help when new comers to this sport go on to "You Tube" to try and educate themselves by watching videos of others and how it's done...  I think I've see one - maybe two "You Tube" videos that could probably help the new comer...  The rest are just accidents waiting to happen. 

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
I read somewhere that the spout plug should be in the horn or in between your teeth only. I tried this and it does eliminate one from forgetting the plug.  From then on when I'm loading I've tried to use this method. It's harder to lose also!

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
I've lost enough powder from an unplugged horn, that I ALWAYS put the plug back in before dumping the powder from the measure into the bore.  My plugs are attached to the strap with a leather thong.

Madcaster

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
 When I was a teenager I tried lighting a match to about an ounce of holy black I had poured out on the driveway,on a July 4th-taught me right there to respect gunpowder AND NOT to lean over the stuff when you are trying to strike a match to it! ??? :-[

blunderbuss

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
I know a fellow who was shooting a percussion rifle off a bench and at 18'' from his LOCK the flask blew up.
 In reading my copy of "Small arms and ammunition in the United states service"by Lewis If you don't have this book try to find one it's loaded with historical stuff.It mentions that long rifles were sometimes pressed into service and used as muskets. In which case" firing in close order they were required to use cartridges." the term "in close order" and cartridges go together as much for safety as for speed of loading.
  While hunting I have used a paper cartridge with the ball wrapped in the cartridge I would tear the cartridge from the rear ,dump the powder in the bore tear the cartridge again behind the ball and ram the ball with the paper ,acting as a patch,down the bore shoots pretty good and it's quick.

Daryl

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »
My improvement on the original, straight sided design. Less loss of powder when biting off the end. Shoves into the muzzle faster.  With my 14 bore rifle I could load a paper ctg. and fire an aimed shot in 8 seconds, which included capping, of course. The accuracy was identical to patched round ball at 100 meters, and the load was 165gr. 2F with a WW Alloy ball. The paper engraved in the lands a couple thousanths while loading. No short starter needed and I could load and fire up to 10, before a cleaning load needed to be fired- then another 10, then cleaning load, etc. A cleaning load is a light load 3 drams of 2F powder charge and a pure lead ball and .025" denim patch, wet lubed.  The light load is not accurate nor flat enough shooting for hunting big game past 100 yards.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:41:17 PM by Daryl »

blunderbuss

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
My improvement on the original, straight sided design. Less loss of powder when biting off the end. Shoves into the muzzle faster.  With my 14 bore rifle I could load a paper ctg. and fire an aimed shot in 8 seconds, which included capping, of course. The accuracy was identical to patched round ball at 100 meters, and the load was 165gr. 2F with a WW Alloy ball. The paper engraved in the lands a couple thousanths while loading. No short starter needed and I could load and fire up to 10, before a cleaning load needed to be fired- then another 10, then cleaning load, etc. A cleaning load is a light load 3 drams of 2F powder charge and a pure lead ball and .025" denim patch, wet lubed.  The light load is not accurate nor flat enough shooting for hunting big game past 100 yards.

What keeps the powder from going around the ball in your cartridge?

Daryl

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
The paper is wrapped about and over the ball quite tightly, then tapers to the point of a tail. The tapered part is where the powder is. The powder cannot get past the ball. Not sure what you are seeing?