Author Topic: Wm & Lincoln Shreckengost  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Wm & Lincoln Shreckengost
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »
I just had a nice breakthrough on my research on this gunsmith family.  I was cruising Ebay searching for old photos of
Putneyville where the gunsmiths lived and came across a photo of Lincoln Shreckengost, his wife and kids around 1900.
All previous photos had been from him as a very old man in the 1940s and his wedding photo around 1880 or so.  I was
able to purchase the photo and when it arrived I scanned it and sent it to the family that owns the swivel breech rifle
signed on one barrel William G. Shreckengost and the other Lincoln G. Shreckengost.  When they received the photo they
were very grateful, they had not seen it either.  They said it was funny I sent it because they had just found an 8 page
handwritten memoir by the grandson of Lincoln talking about the family and growing up in Putneyville in the gun shop.
What an amazing treasure for me to find.  Someone, living during the gunshop era who provided some insight into the
detail of those days.  This gets me excited about pushing on to write the book.  There is pretty interesting discussion of
shooting competitions in the day.

Here is the photo of Lincoln and family in front of the family store/hotel. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:57:57 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Wm & Lincoln Shreckengost
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
Regarding Levi Shreckengost, gunsmith and brother of Lincoln the memoir states "Levi. A veteran of the war between the states. He was captured in North carolina, and a prisoner of war in the infamous Andersonville prison. He was so emaciated upon his release, it took him three years to recover his health. He kept bees, and everyone in the area new of him. I do not know of his family so cannot speak of any children. He was a stolid man, determined if he thought he was right. Had an infected finger he wanted the Dr. to amputate. When the Dr. refused, he got a hammer, balanced the chisel between his other fingers and cut off the infected one."
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline VP

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »
A great treasure to find, especially on Ebay. Congratulations!

VP

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:25:30 AM »
Great find!  I often wonder what my favorite gunsmiths looked like, how they were regarded by family and acquaintances, etc.
Wayne Elliott

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:33:31 AM »
Regarding Levi Shreckengost, gunsmith and brother of Lincoln the memoir states "Levi. A veteran of the war between the states. He was captured in North carolina, and a prisoner of war in the infamous Andersonville prison. He was so emaciated upon his release, it took him three years to recover his health. He kept bees, and everyone in the area new of him. I do not know of his family so cannot speak of any children. He was a stolid man, determined if he thought he was right. Had an infected finger he wanted the Dr. to amputate. When the Dr. refused, he got a hammer, balanced the chisel between his other fingers and cut off the infected one."

Maybe his time as a POW had impressed him with the dangers of infection.  Stolid indeed!

Great find, congrats.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:34:51 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline spgordon

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
It's every researcher's dream to find a source like that--congratulations!
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
LEVI with the bees.

post image
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:45:43 PM by Shreckmeister »

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »

Levi Shreckengost, Big Joe Shreckengost, and Neb Fibiano on the day the Fort Pitt Powder works opened in Putneyville, PA.
Levi's son Homer would be killed in an accident at the mill the next month, and Neb would be killed a month later in with two other men when a spark in the corning mill set off the black powder.
Rough life, tough men.
Thanks for the memoir Rob...now, get to writin' ;D
Shreck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 01:54:15 AM »
How many times have we all said " I wish this gun could talk."
Yours can not only talk but it has pictures to go along with it.  Put me down for a book. Jim
JIM

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 02:41:29 AM »
Wow, when you mentioned the ebay picture at the show last week I did not expect something of that quality. When I got back from the show I set an ebay search for Merritt Wolcott, Sherman, New York.  He was my gg grandfather who fought at Gettysburg.  If I come up with something I owe you lunch for the idea.  Great find, and thanks for sharing it with us.  Jack
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:42:25 AM by GrampaJack »