Author Topic: Square vs round patches  (Read 18153 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Square vs round patches
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Daryl, most of the time I get 12-13 patches from my hole saw and use a short scrap piece of 2x4 on the drill press table. I have tried the arch punches but prefer the hole saw, may be my punch wasn't sharp enough but it's a lot easier to sharpen my hole saw than the arch punch for me.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
You know, I should probably look into making a few loading blocks.   Not only would it make for quick loading, but it also helps keep track of how many shots you've taken.

As it is, I am cutting patches here and there using the lead block.  After awhile, the surface of the lead gets so fragmented it becomes hard to get a clean cut.

I suspect a hole saw sharpened into a round cutter is best left for use in a drill press, correct?  I suppose it would be tough to control in a hand drill.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »
With the hole saw I never tried a hand drill. What I do is cut strips of cloth as wide as I think I can use and fold them over about 12 times depending on how long the strips are. Then I clamp a vice grip to one corner and hold over the 2x4 and run drill press down to cut the wad of cloth. Fold another strip and repeat. The little time inbetween cuts when your folding help the hole saw cool down a little. You can run the drill and hold a sharpening stone at an angle to sharpen the hole saw. It works for me but your mileage may vary.

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:58 AM »
IMG 1185" border="0

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »
Clint Thompson wrote fewer stuck balls with cutting at the muzzle - interesting - haven't had a stuck ball since I learned to use .020" + thickness patches and balls only .005" under bore size along with nicely smoothed muzzle crown.

That would be about 1974, the year after I started shooting muzzleloading rifles. It took me a year to figure it out (yeah - I'm slow-sometimes  :)), after understanding and adopting Ned Roberts teachings in his book, "The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:35:41 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »
I have noticed that round patches don't "wad up" and make seating difficult which can occur with tight fitting square patches.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Black Hand

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »
I have noticed that round patches don't "wad up" and make seating difficult which can occur with tight fitting square patches.
This can happen if your square patches are overly large. Otherwise, this should not be an issue.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:51:54 PM by Black Hand »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »
This may be a trivial comment, but when I saw the photo of the fellow patch cutting above, I thought "I sure wouldn't cut towards my body."  I realized, like anything I cut, I always cut so that the blade goes away from me.  Hard lesson somewhere in my past.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Speaking of the size of square patches, is there a size chart of any kind that I could access that's been posted previously?

Black Hand

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »
Speaking of the size of square patches, is there a size chart of any kind that I could access that's been posted previously?
I take a piece of ticking and a ball, place both on the muzzle, smack the ball into the barrel and then remove the ticking/ball. The mark left by the ball gives me a good idea of how large the square patch should be. I cut the material about 1/8" wider than the mark. This way takes into account your patching thickness, ball size and muzzle opening when determining the size of the square patch needed.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »
  Let's see, I cut patch at muzzle. Ram ball on to powder charge. Take aim an shoot poker chip at 25 yards.
   Oldtravler

Do you set your poker chip facing you, or edgewise? Actually, this time of year my favorite non-furry targets are hedge apples. They are easy enough to hit, and jump high and "explode" when hit. Good messy fun!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »
I like the keep it simple when shooting or hunting. I learned a long time ago that meant loading blocks. It's like cutting at the muzzle, but done at home on blocks while watching TV. It's the fastest way to load the gun while hunting. It's also the least amount of separate stuff I need to carry to the range or hunt.

I made up 5 blocks with 6 holes. I never shoot more than 30 shots at a range, so that's plenty. I only carry one block for hunting. 6 shots is more than enough. All I need to carry for hunting is the loaded block, fixed powder measure and horn. I could cut it down even more my carrying measured powder loads in tubes. I do that for bear hunting to have a quick 2nd shot. Not that i've even needed a quick 2nd shot, but you never know. I could also make a 2-3 shot block to be even more compact.

The loading block has all the advantages of cutting at the muzzle without any of the hassle. A no-brainer for me.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
As Pete says above.
Only thing with a loading block, is not leave tallow -lubed patched balls in the block for years. (!) 
I fired some off that'd sat in there for maybe 15 years or more, and they were Very stuck to the patch. Hard time to get them out of that patch even by hand.
Didn't help accuracy the ones I fired.
 Loading blocks are the best for hunting in my eyes.   

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »
You need to shoot more. Although I can see that happening if just used for hunting. If used for the range too they get cycled pretty fast.

Range for me means woods walking shooting knots in stumps and dead trees. it's the best kind of practice for a hunter. If I could have a dollar for every knot i've killed I could buy a new Jeep.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:45 AM »
One thing about loading blocks, is they should be finished like a rifle, so the lube does not soak into the wood, from the patch.

I made one once, using a piece of UHMW- our version of HDPE. It is available in a number of different colours so maybe brown is also available along with black.

It is easily cut with drills to the correct size for your patch and ball. I use a narrow square file to cut 4 knotches inside each cavity, 4 points of the compass to make pushing the ball and patch into & out of the block a little easier without excessively wiping off the lube. As well, it will not absorb lube from the patch.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
One thing about loading blocks, is they should be finished like a rifle, so the lube does not soak into the wood, from the patch...

Yup, that end-grain is really thirsty.  Load it full of finish to keep yer lube on the patch. Life's too short to be pushing dry patches. :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »
I have used precut round precut square and cut at the muzzle. The playing cards,axe blades and strings can't seem to tell the difference.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2017, 12:07:04 AM »

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:15:26 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2017, 12:59:25 AM »
Truthfully, the only difference I've been able to find between round vs square patches is the shape.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »
Exactly! So easy to make round ones as well as being faster than using sizzors or a round wheel fabric cutter, which some people use.
Daryl