Author Topic: barrel bottom fouling removal?  (Read 7678 times)

Offline EC121

Re: barrel bottom fouling removal?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
That has also been my experience.  A quick wet patch or two before leaving the range is worth several in the shop.
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:13 AM »
I use one patch to clean, then it takes 4 or 5 to dry with the last one also used to oil. Job done, less than 8 minutes including cleaning & drying, oiling and putting the lock and barrel back on the rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 10:40:33 PM »
Never, ever, have I finished cleaning a bore with 5 or 6 patches.  I keep patching and patching until they're clean but a couple dozen patches is not unusual. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Turtle

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
on my .45 round bottom rifling rice barrel I could do that,with my .50 sq bottom--no way.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 03:00:33 AM »
I end up using a lot of patches getting my barrel spotless.  Pretty cheap insurance though for an expensive barrel. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »
I end up using a lot of patches getting my barrel spotless.  Pretty cheap insurance though for an expensive barrel.

Me, too.  I do whatever it takes to get my bores as spotless as possible.  The Rice rb barrels seem to clean up a little quicker than the square rifled barrels.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
Never, ever, have I finished cleaning a bore with 5 or 6 patches.  I keep patching and patching until they're clean but a couple dozen patches is not unusual.

I dunk the breech in the pail or Folger's 3 pound plastic coffee can - one patch is all that is necessary for the cleaning - then 4 to 5 more for drying & one for oiling - most often it is the 5th.

My barrels, after cleaning are MORE spotless than yours and it takes only one patch to do this cleaning IF you take the barrel off the stock and dunk it into the water, then pump/flush water in and out until it is clean.

If you clean your barrel on the stock - there MUST be fouling still at the breech face or around the vent on the inside. Unless the water is flushing in and out, carried up and down with the patch

and forced with downward pressure out the vent or nipple seat then drawn in again with pressure of the vacuum created with the patch drawing up the bore, you cannot get that area clean just

running patches up and down the bore.

If that patching up and down using many patches suits you, that is fine, I do not care, - BUT, those barrels cleaned that way, are not clean enough for me and my one patch to clean.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:51:50 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
Daryl..."I dunk the breech in the pail or Folger's 3 pound plastic coffee can - one patch is all that is necessary for the cleaning - then 4 to 5 more for drying & one for oiling - most often it is the 5th."

That'll work, but I don't like taking the barrel out every time I clean.  That little tube thingy I posted about replaces the need.  It is so proficient that my last several builds have a small groove cut into the side plate side of the stock to house the clamp. 
That way a body only needs a one pound empty Folgers can.

Besides, a one pound can allows usage of the coffee to keep it fresher because there is less exposure to air over time.

Pardon my being persnickity over my coffee and my barrel.  UM Juss Sayn

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
A 3 pound can does not last long around there - I use a cup of coffee grounds for a pot. Most days are 2-pot days.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »
In our house, coffee can be a meal  ;D   We like it strong !   

Offline bgf

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:19 PM »
Pretty sure my coffee will clean a bore of fouling, too :).

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »
Pretty sure my coffee will clean a bore of fouling, too :).

You mean it's like dish water? ;)
Daryl

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
Daryl, I made up a few ounces of your Vaseline/bee's wax recipe and so far it seems like it might be difficult to get it out of the bore.  Had some on a spoon and ran it through the dishwasher twice.  Didn't touch it!!
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
I used and still use it for bullet lube, as it was designed - it does not foul the bore.  I've never used it as a patch lube.

Try that same 'test' with any bullet lube and see what happens.

Does your dish washer produce the same flame temperature as black powder?  What changes happen to beeswax and Vaseline or a mix of beeswax and any other softener including olive oil, when subject to the burning powder flame and pressure? 

\All I know is what I typed out above. It did not foul my bore - in the .45 Longrifle, nor any of my BP ctg. guns - ever, however, it did it's job, of preventing leading and keeping the fouling soft from the previous shot and did not let fouling build up.  As well the barrels, all of them, cleaned up as easily as they ever did - 1 patch for cleaning, 4 to 5 for drying and oiling.

As the late Paul Mathews noted, in "The Paper Jacket", after 5 or 10 shots, ALL the fouling should push out the bore with a single DRY patch.  If it doesn't, your lube or quantity of lube is not good enough.  His formula (60:40) works for me in both unmentionable guns and my in muzzleloaders when shooting bullets.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:39:00 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »
Guess I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were using it as a patch lube.

I can see it working as a bullet lube.
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
The BW/Vas mix worked for me in several rifles, identically to commercially produced BP bullet lubes, Mike - SPG and Lyman's BP Gold.  None of them seemed to have any advantage over the other, except my mix was cheaper.

I would never use it as a patch lube, not because of the BW, but due to it being too stiff for anything but very hot climates.  When it's hot here (over about 78), I'd rather just sit in my 65F basement & play on the computer or load ammo.
Daryl