Author Topic: master builder comes for a visit  (Read 18473 times)

Offline Collector

Re: master builder comes for a visit
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »
Lew, there was no intent of slight or injury on anyone's part, so you shouldn't have "lost" anything. 

If you are ever surrounded by just "like-minded people," and you have more than a single brain cell, you are going to be absolutely bored to death, in fairly short order.  There is a correlation between single brain cells and the adherents of PC-ness.

If you think about it, your thread 'validated' just how fixed opinions are on this particular topic and that had already been established in a prior thread.  Everything that happened after that would tend to follow a linear path, which is exactly what it did.

Personally, I objected to the direction and tenor of the thread but that being said, I'd just like to point out, that nothing here has risen to the level of a capital crime and should be viewed and held in that context, by all participants.

Don't anybody make me have to bring up chewing gum...

It's past my bed time.   

lew wetzel

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »
g.hansen.....everybody has an opinion and thats fine......

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
Lew,
In no way was my comment intended to question Hugh's abilities.  He certainly does credible work.  Over 25 years ago he came to my shop and spent a week with me.  I tried to share as much knowledge as I could with him.  I loaned him a car so that he could drive to Winston Salem and visit John Bivins one day while he was here.  We have shared many phone conversations over the years, and if I remember correctly, I sponsored him for membership in the KRA and helped him get in that organization.  But, when it comes to the requirement for white gloves when handling Kentucky rifles I disagree with him, just my opinion.  I have never asked anyone to use gloves when handling one of my guns.  I've had the privilege of having free roam of the Joe Kindig collection one time.  I've been a member of the KRA since 1982 and have handled most of the fine Kentucky rifle in existence at one time or another, and I've never been asked to put on a pair of white gloves to handle any of those pieces.  I can certainly understand asking someone with "acid hands" to wear them, but I think most guys with that problem are considerate enough to either tell you they have that problem or decline to handle your gun because of it.  At least, that has been my experience.  I simply apply a good coat of wax on my rifles each time before I take them to a show and wax them again when I return, and I've never had a problem.  But, all that being said, if Hugh requires the use of gloves to view his creations, that's his prerogative. 

lew wetzel

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »
jim,hugh related to me the story of coming to see you and bivins...i did not mind putting on the gloves...hugh even put them on first as he removed the rifle from its case....hugh is very proud of this rifle as so he should be because it is all that....

flintman-tx

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
The gun in discussion is magnificent. If it it your cup of tea...that's great. Though I admire the great skill it took to make and I honor it for what it is, if it not MY cup of tea, that's fine as well. I think it is a bit of a stretch to think that we all have to have the same opinion on everything discussed. As long as we approach things with some tolerance, life goes better. I seem to remember it was Lincoln who said..."with malice toward none and charity toward all..."

Mike R

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
I personally think some of you have been unduly harsh towards Hugh--I do not know the man, but can sense the enthusiasm and pride he has in his art.  I am sure some of this has hurt him.  My ol' Dad used to say, Before you say or do something ask yourself if what you say or do will hurt anyone.  If it will, don't do it.  Perhaps an old fashioned ethic.  As to white gloves, I understand--and I agree with those who think that a gun is something that should be handled--but art in general is not handled.  Obviously Hugh thinks of his rifle as art.  I collect knives.  To a collector, condition is a prime consideration--to some the no.1 consideration. I know from experience that on carbon steels a fingerprint left unwiped will etch itself into the metal.  I believe knives like guns ought to be handled, so I handle mine, but every mark that gets left lowers its value.  Some collectors and all museum staff handle their objects d'art with white gloves.  Do no harm is the key.  Now to those of you who purposely antique/wear your new guns, this seems foolishness, but it seems mean to deride others who do not think so. 

jwh1947

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
Perhaps it boils down to personal tastes and personal preferences, period. Isn't it sort of nice that the art form encompasses both an understanding and respect for the past as well as a medium for free expression?  Bottom line...if you like a builder's work, patronize him if you have the means.  If the work is not to your tastes or qualifications, walk on by.  Actually, it is good that we are not all doing the same thing and that we are not apprentice-clones to one set of concepts.  If we were, how mundane it would be. 

As for me, I do like traditional architecture and art, but, that being said, it is only fair to mention that some of the better known names in the business have put out some rather space-age contemporaries, and there appears to be no shortage of buyers who appreciate this work.  My tastes run toward the other end of the spectrum.  My favorite contemp is one by Allan Martin.  You can see it if you look at the front cover of the August 2005 edition of Muzzle Blasts.  It doesn't have one piece of silver on it.  It is sleek and light and I can hit with it.   

I think it was Madison Grant who once said that there is grandeur also to simple things.  If a rifle is architecturally sound and well executed, it is good.  Crisp, appropriate artwork just makes a good thing better.   

Birddog6

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 04:35:10 AM »
Well, I would have just loved for the man to come to my house & show me that rifle.  It really is a beaut of a piece of art.  Makes no different if I would want it or shoot it or put it on the wall, whether it is my taste of rifle, too plain or too fancy, none of that matters....  It is truly a magnificent piece of work for sure, & you are very lucky to personally have gotten to see it & handle it. ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:42:24 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
Ditto on what Birdog6 said!  I couldn't have said it better myself.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

lew wetzel

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 05:39:43 PM »
thanks guys....it was a great visit...and i was very inspired by it...

long carabine

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »
Lew, take the negatives with the positives and then throw the negatives in the trash! You were lucky to have a skilled builder at your home and very lucky to see one of his rifles let alone pick his brain for advice on how to get better at what you love doing. Pay no mind to the - posts and use the knowledge you have gained to better your gunbuilding while all the others are left out in the cold because they didn't have this builder at your their home. enough said without being rude to the negatives..... Tim

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »
OK, we have had some varied and very well expressed opinions on the subject. Time to move on.

Dale H