Author Topic: Acers Engraving Class  (Read 15915 times)

Offline 3 swans

Acers Engraving Class
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:37:52 AM »
Just returned from Acer's engraving class in Ohio. Great class, with a Very Good teacher for a dummy like me. Easy learning for all who attended with great results for all, from basics to being an engraver when you left. This was the fist time I have met Tom. His scary picture on the class schedule and him being from NY did him no justice at all. Anyone looking for a great class should look for Toms next adventure. The class was everything anyone wanting to get started doing early style engraving and more . Hats off to Tom. I hope someone took pictures I did not. Thanks a bunch Tom and hope to see you soon. 3 Swans -- Zandy Moler.   Also Thanks to the Ladies and Gentlemen of Canters Cave and the Southern Ohio Workshops Staff for a Great Event.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:40:37 AM by 3 swans »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Acers Engraving Class
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:28 AM »
HI Zandy,
You just had instruction by one of the greatest historical gun decorators and engravers alive today.  Acer is a great talent and a very modest one.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:57:08 AM »
Zandy, you summed it up.  Great class and classmates.  Leaned a lot and the Lindsay sharpening system seems foolproof and 100% reproducible.  Easy to restore the edge in just a few minutes.  Man, that shop sounded like a flock of woodpeckers!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
I can't say enough about Tom's class.  He is a true gentleman and did an excellent job.  Several of us had never engraved anything before the class.  He gave us the basic grounding and sharpening skills which will let us continue to learn for years to come.  I can't imagine trying to learn this on my own.  The progress made over a short three days by all of the students was amazing.

Hat's off to Tom and the staff for a great event.
Jeff

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:09:38 AM »
Agree 100% with everything said above.  A great course that took some engraving newbies to a point where they could produce some pretty darn good engravings that would look great on a period long rifle.  My thanks to Tom, the Staff and my fellow students.

galudwig

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:41:02 AM »
Tom's engraving class was fantastic. I've been looking forward to this class since I saw him do his demo at the ALR tent at Dixon's this past July. With Tom's instruction and help I gained a lot of confidence in my engraving abilities. I had a lot of fun practicing by duplicating patterns found on rifles in the many books he brought along. Got to put faces to names from the ALR site as well and that was a definite plus. Enjoyed spending time with and working with you guys and look forward to doing so again!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »
I have to admit, this class exceeded all my expectations. You guys all came away as solid engravers, which astounded me that you could make such progress in such a short time.

The basis for this class goes back to the time when I took engraving lessons from Jerry Huddleston. He's told me in essence "if you have a sharp graver, you'll be able to engrave. Without a sharp graver, you'll go nowhere. You MUST learn to sharpen your own gravers."

In about an hour on the first day, everyone was sharpening their gravers perfectly, thanks to Steve Lindsay's template system. The rest of the day was spent breaking the points off their gravers. Not intentionally, of course, but in the process of learning the feel of cutting. Your cuts aren't quite right? Your graver is not moving through the metal? Take a look at your point. Sharpen it up, and in five minutes, you're back cutting again.

The end result was that we spent more time on actual cutting than sharpening. Getting that feel is a matter of delicacy, and how do I say this, but some get that feel sooner than others. But everyone 'got it' by the end of the class, and were producing nice clean cuts.

Everyone in the class gave their all into this, and I am very touched to see and appreciate the heart that they put into their learning. Wait, I gotta get a kleenex. Serious effort by all, and thanks for the opportunity to work with you guys.

And a great thank you goes to our hosts, Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops for the great setting and accommodations, and a great porch to sit out in the twilight and talk into the late hours.

Link to Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops: http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »
You guys practicing?
Andover, Vermont

galudwig

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
Sunday evening I ordered my own Lindsay template and bench stones since I can't borrow Dave's stuff anymore...  ;)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I told Steve Lindsay what a genius he is. The last class I taught, we spent three days just learning how to sharpen. This class it took one hour. The rest of the time was spend cutting. (or learning the nuances of cutting, ;) )

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
Still surprises me that the tool can look good but need sharpening. I was cutting last night and it wasn't tracking. Could not see a problem. I sharpened it in 3 minutes and everything got better. In the past using other systems I might "sharpen it" and it would cut worse. So, yes to this system for square gravers.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
You've developed 'the touch', Mister Pierce. Good for you!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
I am finally home, took a couple of days to visit with my sister in ATL.

Thank you Tom for the learning experience, I enjoyed your style of teaching, relaxed but there with your solid knowledge and answers when your class needed it. I feel I have finally put it all together after years of fits and starts trying my hand at engraving, at least to the point that I can now do some directed practice and expect to achieve results. Knowing how to sharpen, and when to re-sharpen, aids immeasurably in making those thin scratches in metals.

To the others in the class, very nice meeting and chatting with you, I enjoyed that, and - wow, how quickly you guys "got it." By the end of day one several were too enthused to put their hammer aside, by day two there was some fine work being done all over the shop. Amazing progress to witness.

dave
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:04:45 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

galudwig

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:01 AM »
And yes, Ohio is a part of the Midwest!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:50:43 AM by galudwig »

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
Acer,
Would love to take your class next year if I my wife and I can plan for it. I took a class 4 or 5 years ago at GRS but it was almost totally aimed at exotic modern knife engraving and by the end of the class we could do some cutting but really did not spend very much time on sharpening. I told the instructor I was interested in colonial style engraving but not sure if he ever really understood what I was asking. I have heard so many great things about the Lindsay templates for sharpening. Which one did you all use and do you recommend getting Steve's sharpening stones? I have several of the DMT stones. Sorry for all the questions but would love to get at least the best template and get started practicing. Also if any have any pictures of their projects, it would be great to see some of them and great for convincing your class is a MUST ATTEND! Thanks and look forward to more learning.
elkhorne

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »
We used the 90 degree template. The system depends on using stones 1/2" thick.  It can be challenging to switch grits with assorted stones one may already own and keep that consistent thickness. So I would recommend getting the stones.  Then use them for everything!
Andover, Vermont

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »
Thanks Rich! I will work on getting those and build from there.
elkhorne

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
Specifically what do I need to purchase from Steve to duplicate the sharpening system that was used in the class?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:29:56 PM by Burg »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
We used the 90 degree template, 600, 1200, and 2000 grit diamond stones. Tom provided aluminum graver handles and 2 high speed square graver blanks he had roughly pre-ground to a face angle. Also a rigid plastic sheets to act as a level surface for the stone and sharpener gizmo. I think that was it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 3 swans

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
Adding to Rich P.. There was also a 260 grit stone for heave removal of metal on the gravers supplied by Acer. A faster way for more removal is to use the electric wheel grinder like Acer did in starting the points. Do not forget to keep your plastic work piece clean of diamond dust from the sharpening process, if you do not the template will also grind down. The finer you get the graver in overall size the better you can see your work at the graver point on your work piece, but remember you are not driving nails with the hammer go easy.

Offline 3 swans

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
Any by the way:  I told you guys Ohio was not in the North.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »
3 Swans, I was so deflated to learn that I was not in the mid-west, because I sure drove long enough. I was also mis-led into believing that we were below the Mason-Dixon Line. But I DID go below the line on the way back!

In Chambersburg, PA, I had breakfast at a Wafflehouse, a tip I picked up from Bill Shipman some years back.

I stopped at Dixon's Muzzleloading on the way home, and had a great visit Greg, Brenda and Chuck.

I've spoken with Steve Lindsay about his sharpening stuff, and he's willing to put together a "Kentucky Longrifle engraving tool set". He's in the process of redoing his website, so sometime after that we will get the set together.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »
You guys notice that Gary never said anything, but he sure did listen!

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »

I've spoken with Steve Lindsay about his sharpening stuff, and he's willing to put together a "Kentucky Longrifle engraving tool set". He's in the process of redoing his website, so sometime after that we will get the set together.

Tom,
I wanted to go to your class just about more than anything, but work and life prevented that.

I have Lindsay's basic set, but would love to see a Pennsylvania rifle set.

As another plug for the Lindsay system, I made a few pathetic attempts at engraving after watching videos and failed miserably.  I bought the Lindsay system and my engraving went from kindergarten to Junior high school immediately. Now I know that it's my fault, not the graver.

If you do this class again, I will move mountains to get there.
Cheers,
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
If your graver is sharp, you can engrave!

If it isn't sharp, no amount of skill will produce good engraving.

They have scheduled me for next year at Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops. I'd like to get a little closer so I make sure the date works for me, but it looks like late Sept again. Tentatively.

Elkhorne, Burg and Norm, send me a PM with your email. I'll put you on my mailing list for the "Kentucky Tools" and any class announcements.