Author Topic: Crown Decoration  (Read 5598 times)

rdillon

Crown Decoration
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »
Where do I get a scribe and centering tool to put a circle around the end of the barrel?  I want to scribe a cricle with some dots on it.  I am building a Tennessee and have seen this decoration and would like to duplicate it.  Thanks

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Crown Decoration
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:16 AM »
Hey Dill:  I got mine yrs ago from (I do believe) "Chambersburg Gun Shop" and I do believe also that he is still around....   That tool works slick as snot on a door knob as I described to you.  Mine came with an aluminum shim to set around the insert in a 45 to do a 50 cal. :)  If you want to borrow it lemmee know e-mail.   You may have to come to our shoot in Bowmanstown to get it!! ;D  I'm leaving tomorrow for rondy and shoot til Monday.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:47:37 AM by Roger Fisher »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:52:47 AM »
Dillion,  Here is a link to a tool that ken Guy made.  It is in our tutorials section.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2718.0 I think this is what you are after.
DMR

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:54 AM »
Dillion,
Any tapered piece of metal would work for the main shaft.  I imagine a taper piece of hard wood would work if you were only going to do a few barrels.  The scribe is the rod out of a center punch.
I made mine after Roger was kind enough to send me some pictures of his.  If you like the one I did you have to see the one David Rase posted several years back.  One of the coolest Southern muzzles I have seen.  Circles with sterling silver stars instead of dots.  Maybe he will post the picture again.  Hint hint!  The unfortunate part is N-Graver no longer sells the star punches.   
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:37:52 AM »
I made 2 of those tools similar to Kens. One for small bores & one for large bores as I found it easier to adjust & get the bit closer to the edge by making  a small shaft one for the small bores.  For the lil cutting bit, I used the shank of a broken HS drill bit.  The lil hand tool works great & very easy to use.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:04:30 AM »
If I lost mine today I think would make 2 different sizes the next time.  It would be easier to work the tool.
Ken

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:48 AM »
Well, when I made mine, of course I had you send me the photos of yours. I made a large one first & it would go down in a .40 barrel, but I wanted the taper to go up to a .62 cal. With that large flare/shaft, I couldn't get the bit up close to the bore like I wanted on a smallbore  But it worked fine on a 54 & up. So making the smaller shafted one, the bit was closer, so the small one will do a .32 up to a .50 & the large one does a .50 up to a .62.

But your idea of how you made it saved me LOTs of work, trial & error & etc., cause I may of had to make  4-5-6 of them to get one working easy & you took me right to where I needed to be.

Thanks   ;)

Keith

Offline David Rase

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:10:59 PM »
Dillion,
Any tapered piece of metal would work for the main shaft.  I imagine a taper piece of hard wood would work if you were only going to do a few barrels.  The scribe is the rod out of a center punch.
I made mine after Roger was kind enough to send me some pictures of his.  If you like the one I did you have to see the one David Rase posted several years back.  One of the coolest Southern muzzles I have seen.  Circles with sterling silver stars instead of dots.  Maybe he will post the picture again.  Hint hint!  The unfortunate part is N-Graver no longer sells the star punches.   
Ken
Thanks for the compliments Ken.  Here is the picture I have of the muzzle.  I thought I had a more direct picture of the muzzle but this gives you the idea.  I think I took the picture during a discussion about poured pewter nosecaps. 

DMR

brokenflint

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
Dave   How are the star inlays done?

Offline David Rase

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »
Dave   How are the star inlays done?
After laying out the locations for the stars I drilled a 1/16" hole about 1/8" deep where the center of the star would be.  I then used an N-graver star punch and punched an impression of the star about 1/32" deep.  Drilling the 1/16" hole first allows room for displacement of the metal when you strike the punch with a hammer.  I then clean out the hole with the 1/16" drill bit.  Next you insert a piece of 1/16" sterling silver wire into the hole and pean it into the star depression.  File it flush and you have a star.
DMR

brokenflint

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
thanks Dave,  I'll have to look up an N-graver star punch, maybe even I can do this  :D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
Brokenflint,
If they are selling the star punches again please post that they are.  I've tried to buy a set and the gentleman said they were sold out and he did not know when they would be making more.  That was only a couple of months back. 
Ken

brokenflint

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:40:46 PM »
Ken  will do, did you check with N-graver only?  other suppliers like Rio Grande etc ?

Broke

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:22:25 PM »
You can get leather punches with all kinds of designs cheap. It migth be able case harden one and use it.

Best regards

Rolfkt