Author Topic: Inlay gaps and wetting?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Marcruger

Inlay gaps and wetting?
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:45 AM »
I have pondered this for a while, and just thought to ask the question. 

When one has inlayed a piece (say a hunter's star), and the inletting isn't perfect, can the wood be wet in that area to swell up and fill a small gap?  I mean, after the inlay has been attached to the wood.

I am not talking big, but in close up photos we can often see a little sliver of a gap here and there.  Just wondering if wood swelling from water would make any difference? 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:21:08 AM by Marcruger »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Inlay gaps and wetting?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:31:12 AM »
 As soon as the wood dries the gap will return.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:08 AM »
In a nutshell.....yes.  Works well especially if the wood is not gone but just compressed.  I think this is why stabbing in works as well as it does.  The stabbing in of the outline compresses the wood at the edge of the inlay and when wet, it swells back into place.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:42:22 AM »
I would say 'yes' as well, but the effect is very limited.  I use chisels to inlay everything, and short paring knives to get right to the line, so there is very little compressed wood around my inlays.  Yet, when I whisker the wood, I see some swelling taking place, as disturbed wood wants to return to it's former shape.  But again, I would not rely on wetting/swelling wood to close gaps.  In fact, the Tung Oil I use for finish likely has a more profound effect on thin gaps, filling as the coats are applied.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:45:15 AM »
 My answer is different because I do not stab in when inlaying. Stabbing in compresses the wood to one side as Dave said.
 I remove all the inside wood first and then trim to the sides.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
Yes, on both Walnut and Maple. I use boiling water/steam to whisker - won't swell much, but enough to close minor gaps.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
In a nutshell.....yes.  Works well especially if the wood is not gone but just compressed.  I think this is why stabbing in works as well as it does.  The stabbing in of the outline compresses the wood at the edge of the inlay and when wet, it swells back into place.
What he said.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
    Wetting and steam can move wood as evidenced by steaming out minor dents.  Usually the multiple coats of finish and a couple of rub backs with a maroon scuff pad do wonders to "eliminate" any minor gaps.  If you polish your stock with a dark colored BriWax it will also make minor gaps vanish.  A couple of guys working in my shop have dubbed BriWax as "screw up be gone."

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
A while back someone on here said when they cut the outline for an inlet they used their chisel bevel out to compress the wood a bit. Later they would wet the wood to tighten the inlet.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:28 AM »
I knew the experts here would have the answers.  :-)  Many thanks,   Marc