Author Topic: Measurements for attributed Albrecht rifle?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Chowmi

Measurements for attributed Albrecht rifle?
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
There is a rifle on the KRA Early Moravian guns CD that is labeled Attributed to Albrecht 2, i.e. The second attributed one on the cd.
It is the one with the flat side opening patchbox, lion carving with inlaid eyes behind cheek rest, with the fore end cut back for a bayonet.

Does anybody have the basic dimensions of that rifle?  Barrel length, trigger pull, buttplate size etc? 

I am planning future builds and that gun really strikes me.

I think I saw it in the Museum of the American Revolution in Philly.  Wonder if they'd let me measure it. Probably not! 

I'm guessing that the fore-end was cut back at a later date and that musket style front ramrod pipe was added later for the metal ramrod. I think I see an empty pin-hole for the original RR pipe in the picture.

I can't seem to get my hands on the Moravian gun book, are there measurements in there? 

Thank you,
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Measurements for attributed Albrecht rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
No measurements in the Moravian book, Norm, though it is mentioned that the barrel has been shortened to 36" with the flared end cut off, and the new end turned round and having a stud added to accept the bayonet.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Eric von Aschwege has plans on his site for an Albrecht rifle.  I'm not certain if this is the rifle you're looking for.  Hope this helps.   http://www.neahkahnieflintlocks.com/plans.html
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
If you're talking about the "Lion and Lamb" rifle since you mention side opening box, George Shumway did an article (might have been two parts) a number of years ago and I'm pretty sure he supplied really detailed measurements of everything.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »
Shumway's articles on the "Lion and Lamb" rifle do include a number of dimensions.  They were published in the March 1998 and October 1998 issues of Muzzle Blasts.  They have been reprinted in Vol I of Longrifle Articles by George Shumway, pages 54-62.

https://www.shumwaypublisher.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=22
Phil Meek

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:29:56 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Stupid me, I couldn't figure out where the lamb was when someone mentioned it to me before. It's the patchbox, dummy!

I could have avoided confusion by posting the picture, but it is  copyrighted.

I will look at getting Shumway's articles. Not a bad thing to have in the library anyway.

Thank you,
Norm.

Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA