Author Topic: Wrought Iron...how can you recognize it?  (Read 4029 times)

54ball

Wrought Iron...how can you recognize it?
« on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:53 AM »
 I know wrought iron or at least the lower grades will show grain. Do any of you know a good way to check?
 I would like to make up some period screw plates, taps, screws and bolts and rifle furniture.

I have access to a large pile of boiler steam pipes from a steam locomotive. We have been using. Them as fence posts. They are very malleable. They are all pitted but do not rust away. They're pretty much in the same shape they were 30 years ago.
 These pipes were from  Southern 4501 1911...Southern 216? 1920 but I do believe most came from Norfolk and Western J 611 1951.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Wrought Iron...how can you recognize it?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:38:03 AM »
You can google 'wrought iron spark test'. Plenty of information to chew on, Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:40:14 AM »
I always just grind on the end of a bar, or slab, or whatever, down to bare shiny metal, then polish it up somewhat.  You should be able to clearly see grain in most low to average grades of true iron.  Possibly very high grades may not show this, but I've not used iron of that quality so I can't say.  I have a number of pieces of bar and rod that came from various sources; none are rusted like steel will rust, and all of them will clearly show grain/silicate 'flecks' when a portion of any end is moderately polished up.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:40:57 AM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »
Agree with both.  In the grinding to reveal grain you'll eliminate a bunch of mild or high carbon steel just by the spark pattern, then confirm by grain.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
Guys,

Here is a magnified photo of wrought iron as compared to steel.  You can easily see the difference in the grain pattern.  W.I. always tends to have the same amount of slag content, but in more refined W.I. the slag streaks are so very thin that they are difficult to see.  With really good triple refined W.I. put a sample of the metal in a jar of muriatic acid for a while, then you can more easily see the grain structure.

Here are some photos of an original M.L. barrel that was re-used - changed from straight octagon to oct-to-round.  It is the same barrel shown in the tutorial on barrel straightening.  This barrel was most probably a product of the Remington shop circa 1840.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:46:23 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Thank you for asking the question, and all the replies. I was just wondering the same thing recently. I have several scraps of unknown origin from my yard that I would like to use for various things.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:22:36 AM »
Thank you for asking the question, and all the replies. I was just wondering the same thing recently. I have several scraps of unknown origin from my yard that I would like to use for various things.

Cheers,
Norm

some days I spend an hour just spark testing the junk ferrous metals I've found and dragged in.  Now and then--red sparks which gets me close enough, but I'm no blacksmith.
Hold to the Wind

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:00:07 AM »
Well the spark test is best if you can google that. Otherwise put a iece in the bise and saw through the pipe stopping when you get far enough to snal the pipe off by bending it at the cut. Bend back snd forth until it breaks. You should be able to see the grain where it broke.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
Spark test shows carbon, should be very low in wrought iron. Tells nothing about slag
Here is an old wrought iron bar, most likely off a shipwreck. Found it on the shore of Lake Huron, northern Michigan. Use it as my "wrought iron example"

In s-l-o-w process of writing a small book on metals used in old guns. What i wrote on wrought iron is:
“Wrought iron cannot be cast, and cast iron cannot be wrought” was the ancient view of these metals.

Pure iron is an element, with the chemical symbol Fe, from the Latin word for iron, ferrum. It is magnetic, and not very strong. Iron has little commercial value in its chemically pure form, and is usually seen mixed with, or alloyed with, some other elements. The nearest thing to pure iron one might commonly find in the hardware store is “black iron wire”, typically 1008 steel. That is, mostly iron with 0.08% carbon by weight.

The first iron used was meteoric iron, which contains a few per cent of nickel. Tutankhamen had one dagger forged of meteoric iron, and another of gold. At the time the two metals may have been comparable in value.

The oldest form in which iron was refined from ore is called “wrought iron”. This term means just what it says, that it is iron which has been "wrought", or forged, into shape—it is not cast iron. Wrought iron is fairly pure metallic iron mixed with maybe 3 percent by weight of slag fibres. This slag is a glass made of iron oxides, and calcium silicates. It runs through the iron as long stringers. It is lighter than iron, so that 3% by weight means more than that by volume. If you look at an old piece of rusted wrought iron you will see a “grain”, or long lines, on the surface. Those long, stringy marks are from the slag fibres, which did not rust.

This slag has a positive effect on the properties of wrought iron. One is that when wrought iron is brought to a forging heat, glowing white hot, some of the slag melts on the surface and acts as a flux. This permits two pieces of wrought iron to be readily forge welded together. Herodotus says the art of welding was discovered by Glaucus of Chios. Indeed, for nearly three thousand years forge welding was the only kind of welding. Welding iron was done then without any melting of the metal.

Wrought iron is absolutely magic stuff in the forge. I made my first forge weld in wrought iron years ago on a friend's forge - just before I burnt my first iron.

Oh yeah - those slag fibres do protect the iron somewhat from rusting. Had that bar above been mild steel it would long ago have crumbled to rust. The last wrought iron was puddled in Western Pennsylvania about 1960. I DO NOT KNOW, BUT STRONGLY SUSPECT that the market for wrought iron disappeared as the use of galvanized (zinc coated) iron became more economical, for rust protection.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
Thanks James, and everyone else - iron has always been a puzzle to me.  Excellent historical & technical references, James K.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:56:59 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
I have come to some of the same conclusions as above. Lacking a microscope the best way I have found is to work a bit of it in the forge. I have a bar of junk I thought was mild steel until recently. I was making up some hinges and wanted a test piece for tring out my idea for jamb side finials on the hinges. I grabbed the junk and on beginning to forge it found it to be wrought (I have in mind welding up some hatchets out of it). I guess it comes with experience. As JC says forge welding WI is much easier than welding MS. Rusty low grade WI is usually more obvious to see the grain. The higher grade stuff is harder to tell but is wonderful to work. The lower grade stuff is more difficult and tends to want to string apart at the ends. I made iron hardware recently for rifle out of some low grade WI out of an old plow brace. I had to keep bringing it to welding heat to join back together as it wanted to splay out. The finished product is good, but definately can be identified as wrought iron.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
The explanation/description and excellent photos are a metal education by themselves.  Thanks for excellent posts.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.