Author Topic: This morning's work  (Read 10062 times)

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
This morning's work
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »
Hello everyone.   I started working on assembling one of our mountain rifle kits this morning about 9:30.  Here' is what it looked like at about 12:15:

I'm usually not one to get excited about things, but I'm really happy how things went together and how smoothly the whole process went.  We're always looking to improve our products and make them as good as they can be.  All the little details that are continually addressed add up and make something really good, even better!  I have more ideas in the works to make the product better and assembly even easier.  I think I can get the time down to around two hours.  I of course have lots of experience so others usually take longer.

We're on the verge of having a second kit and we're going to continue to add more.  When you look at what these kits offer it's hard to deny their value and how big of a step forward they are.  Just add up the cost of components for building a gun from a blank and you'll find the difference isn't all that great.  Not to mention putting a value on your time...

With the new kit, I plan on getting set-up to carve, engrave and finish these quickly and efficiently.  Fast, with all the quality of any custom gun I've ever built.  Can't wait!

I have some additional projects in the works besides the earlier period kit gun.  These should be available this time next year.  We're working hard to move forward, grow and make some awesome products.

Thanks so much for all the support.

All the best,
Jim

By the way, we added another dog to the pack.  This is Pete.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:40:16 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: This morning's work
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
Jim, if your new kit is as nice as your mountain rifle, it will be wonderful, I was able to get mine together in around 3-4 hours, with all the finishing, polishing etc done in a nice relaxing weekend. It was a really fun project and I got a neat squirrel rifle for myself. I still like building from a blank but will definitely be looking at your new kit with interest. Wishing you continued success and thanks for what you are doing for the muzzleloading community.

Dale
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:20:26 AM »

Fine work as always. We lost our little girl Dachshund Monday to congestive heart failure.11 years of
that noisy,funny little creature and WE DO miss her. Coming into a silent house is no fun and her empty bed
is more than we can deal with.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:47:59 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:13 AM »
Jim, Very proud of you accomplishments on the kit = and very much looking forward to the next one. This is a fantastic way for a new enthusiast to get into the sport, learn the basics and assemble a fine rifle. When they learn the basics, it all transfers to other kits, builds from blanks and different styles and types. It's like giving a ride to a first time passenger on a motorcycle, or a first flight in an airplane, it's all about exposure, education and enjoyment to the hobby.

Like Dale said, it's also a fun time to relax and build a fine rifle for fun, relaxation or for a gift. My boy's love theirs, and I learned a lot about finishing, the architecture and the operation of a flintlock.

Fantastic to have you, Catherine and now Pete providing spectacular kits!

Jon
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:08:15 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Hemo

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »
Does this mean you'll have to change your WKU rifle building workshop to a one-half day course? ;)
Glad this project is doing well for you. Looking forward to your next offering. Any speculation on when the early gun kit will be available?
Have fun with the new pup!

Gregg

Offline al56

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »
Jim
Do you offer this kit left handed yet?  Inquiring left hander's want to know.
Al

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
I agree with the others your kits are fantastic in fit & detail. For any beginner or intermediate builder this kit is "spot on" to learn the finer points of assembling a kit without the pitfalls of where & how to inlet the parts correctly not to mention the stock architecture. Most of all "time IS money" just screw up on one stock and have to start over will convince you of that QUICKLY!!! ;) ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
Nice looking rifle, but I really like the dog.
Eric Smith

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
Beautiful wood in that rifle Jim! Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing it after you work your magic with finishing. Good luck on all your future projects. Thanks for showing us this one.
elkhorne

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
HEY, HEY, HEY...

Quit fooling around and get back to work on that upcoming  early rifle kit.

Now, gimme the dog, no more meals, vacation, TV or time off until it is ready.

Oh yeah...turn your cell phone over to your mom.  You're killin' us, Smalls...killin' us.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
That's awesome, Jim!  Can't wait to see the new product.  Very happy for you and Catherine, and wish you both continued success.  Pete's a handsome boy...

Bob..., sorry for your loss, nothing worse than losing a beloved pet / best friend....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »
Jim, that's a little slow but I'm sure you can pick it up a bit... ha ha!! Congrats!
Wow!!
I had a brindle bitch some years ago that had the same body and facial structure as your new addition.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »
Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about your little dog passing on.  This is a tough thing to deal with.  We have an older dog as well and certainly don't look forward to that day.

Al,

No left hand yet.  One of these days I'll offer something.  I promise.

Pete, the new dog is doing pretty good, but he has a lot to learn.  He had been in the pound since April and on a chain before then so he's adjusting to his new freedom.  We're happy to have him.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  Our goal is pretty simple:  Make kits with the highest quality possible, at an affordable price, avaible with little wait.  I have trouble explaining this, but for me it's very exciting and fulfilling to figure out ways to make rifles so quickly.   I spent years building custom guns and am very aware of the work that these require.  Not to mention the lifestyle that generally goes along with it.  It's typically far from lucrative.  Only the best can make a decent living and this requires very hard work, discipline and commitment.  So for me on a personal level, technology, problem solving and modern manufacturing has meant a great deal.  I'm driven by problem solving and moving forward.  This has been an enormous amount of work but it really is a huge step forward.  There's a place for those who value historical accurate techniques and those who place more emphasis on the process than the results.  But for me and those who focus on results, this means a lot.  More models will be coming.  Kits will continue to have additional improvements as well.  We have a good foot hold now and the best is certainly yet to come!

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
Bob, I can empathize with your loss.  I lost my bassett, Micky, several years ago at 14 yoa and have yet to come to terms with the loss of my little girl.

Jim, as much as I like the SMR kits I can't wait to see what the early kits will look like.  By the way, does Pete build rifles, too?  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:17 AM »
Put me down for a lefty kit too!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

arthur

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 03:44:13 AM »
You build a lefty soon

Offline Dave R

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »
Jim,

Do you have a picture of your latest earlier period right hand kit? If so please post a few pictures!

Thanks!
Dave R

Offline little joe

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
That's awesome, Jim!  Can't wait to see the new product.  Very happy for you and Catherine, and wish you both continued success.  Pete's a handsome boy...

Bob..., sorry for your loss, nothing worse than losing a beloved pet / best friend....
 My little friend of 13 yrs. is at the vet. hospital as I type however let me assure you life can have some hard times in store for all of us. I held my wife of 43 yrs hand as she slowly died and 5 yrs ago buried my first born grand son. Some people have suffered much more than I and my prayers are with them, hoping they have a dog or cat with them beside them.

Ed

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
Jim,
I sent ya an e-mail via yer web site when this thread first posted.
Just wondering if maybe ya didnt get it?
Regarding your upcoming new kit??
Brad Foust

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »
Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about your little dog passing on.  This is a tough thing to deal with.  We have an older dog as well and certainly don't look forward to that day.

Al,

No left hand yet.  One of these days I'll offer something.  I promise.

Pete, the new dog is doing pretty good, but he has a lot to learn.  He had been in the pound since April and on a chain before then so he's adjusting to his new freedom.  We're happy to have him.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  Our goal is pretty simple:  Make kits with the highest quality possible, at an affordable price, avaible with little wait.  I have trouble explaining this, but for me it's very exciting and fulfilling to figure out ways to make rifles so quickly.   I spent years building custom guns and am very aware of the work that these require.  Not to mention the lifestyle that generally goes along with it.  It's typically far from lucrative.  Only the best can make a decent living and this requires very hard work, discipline and commitment.  So for me on a personal level, technology, problem solving and modern manufacturing has meant a great deal.  I'm driven by problem solving and moving forward.  This has been an enormous amount of work but it really is a huge step forward.  There's a place for those who value historical accurate techniques and those who place more emphasis on the process than the results.  But for me and those who focus on results, this means a lot.  More models will be coming.  Kits will continue to have additional improvements as well.  We have a good foot hold now and the best is certainly yet to come!

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

Jim and others who have sent notes about our little Dachshund,Gretl.Thank you ALL and to those who
have never had an animal in your life to love and care about,it's an experience unique to us who have.
I looked at the Kibler kits at the CLA show in Lexington and they are close to being a gift when the lack
of value in the dollar is considered.It puts a simplified project into the hands of those with little real skills
in using tools.High quality for  low value dollars.
  Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
There is nothing like a reply to your own last post.
Our vet called and said he had a miniature Dachshund
whose owner had passed away and the family didn't want it.
A female,18 months old with all shots current and free of
charge to a good home. She is now our little girl and I
have named her "Madchen".How can I umlaut certain
letters on a computer?The letter "a"in her name ought to
be umlauted.

Bob Roller

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
Bob,

This makes my heart so happy--that is amazing how that has worked out for you.  Congrats on your new little girl.  You both had lost someone and now you have each other. 

Katherine

By the way, you type an ä by holding down the alt key and typing 0228

Offline jaeren

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »
There is nothing like a reply to your own last post.
Our vet called and said he had a miniature Dachshund
whose owner had passed away and the family didn't want it.
A female,18 months old with all shots current and free of
charge to a good home. She is now our little girl and I
have named her "Madchen".How can I umlaut certain
letters on a computer?The letter "a"in her name ought to
be umlauted.

Bob Roller

Mädchen like this. Use alt 132 and that is the code for ä if this is what you want Hold down the alt key then press 132 and when you release the alt key youll have your ä. Take a look at this page explains better than I can. http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/letter-a-umlaut-diaeresis-a-umlaut-lowercase-ascii-code-132.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:21:24 PM by jaeren »

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
Jim-  Your "problem solving" and technology advances with your kits are very exciting for those of us just beginning this hobby.  They help us learn the basics and correct architecture with fewer mistakes, which helps keep us from becoming discouraged.  Bravo!

Bob- Condolences on your loss and congrats on the new addition to your family.  Have had my heart broken by a couple of good ones and can't imagine life without a dog in the house.

jeff
Jeff

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
Sorry for the hi-jack but my condolences to you, Bob Roller. There is no dog in our house, only cats. We've captured & spayed / neutered many strays and then set them free over the years. All of them have stayed around for the food afterwards. They didn't know how important they would become after their initial shock of being captured then surgery but all become friends of mine. It hurts when I have to put them in our little pet cemetery.
You have my sympathy, Bob Roller. Fuzzy, Catfish, Franklin Delano LaRosa, Tippy, Jamie Kay, Patches & Yeller. I miss every one of them.