Author Topic: Drill press speed  (Read 3437 times)

Uncle Alvah

Drill press speed
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:20:34 AM »
What is the proper speed for the drill press drilling the hole for a flash hole liner?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Drill press speed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
I don't think it makes much difference. Probably one of your slower speeds. I have never changed the speed on mine since I bought it about 25 years ago.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

chubby

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 02:44:09 AM »
The harder the material the slower the speed & lower angle on your drill bit to keep from getting to hot and dull!! Barrels are not to hard but you should still use a slower speed for less grab on break thru!    Chubby  :)

Offline tiswell

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 02:50:50 AM »
 Uncle Alvah,
             At 100 sfpm for a low carbon steel barrel, a 1/4" high speed drill bit should spin about 1500 rpm. Personally I would go slower, like 1000 or so. Brush cutting oil on it if you have it. A little lard and kerosene was used on the farm, it is combustible though.

Good luck!, Bill

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
I do all normal drilling in steel at 600RPM.Any hole in a lock bigger than .3125 for me
is rare.This same drill press,a heavy old American Rockwell new in 1964 also serves as
a VERY light milling machine to mill a "V"shaped cut in a lock tumbler for the fly but the
speed is about 4000RPM which is supposedly well under maximum for these little end
mills no larger than 3/32".The material is 1144"stressproof"milled dry.The drilling is
done with a drop or two of threading fluid.

Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
What is the proper speed for the drill press drilling the hole for a flash hole liner?
To do the job properly the barrel MUST be clamped to the table in the CORRECT position and use a GOOD drill bit. Use a RPM speed between 700 and 900 with cutting oil. Plunge slowly and steadily until through. Don't move a thing but just remove the drill bit and chuck up the tap apply tapping fluid to tap & hole lower the quill with one hand while turning the chuck or pulley with the other - keep light to moderate downward pressure on the quill once the tap "grabs" the hole until the tap breaks through.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
I would add only one thing to Mr.Berkuta's solid advice and the is to remove the
drill and countersink the hole the depth of ONE thread before tapping it.

Bob Roller

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »
  I would also UNPLUG the drillpress before turning the chuck.or pulley.

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:10:20 AM »
I drill and tap for a WL a little different than most. The bbl is shimmed so the WL will be at 90 degrees to the bore.... probably isn't req'd but that's my preference.

The shimmed bbl is laid on the the reinforced  plywood and is held by hand and the small pilot drill picks up the center punch and the hole is drilled through. Next is the tap drill and that is also drilled through. A shallow ctsk is cut on the hole and now it's ready to tap. The tap is chucked and lubed , centered in the hole and  is raised a little out of the hole. .The spindle is turned on at 1500 RPM and immediately turned off and while the spindle is coasting the tap is  brought down into the hole.... after a few turns, the spindle stops and the tap is unchucked and the remaining threads are cut in the bench vise. Have done all the bbls like this and the threads are always good.

When installing the WL, the shallow ctsk might have to be deeper so the TH land is approx. .040.

A 1/16 " drill is run at 1325 RPM and a 3/16 -1/4"  drill at 720 RPM. Many times the very small drills are broken because the speed is too low. .....Fred
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:23:48 PM by flehto »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
One thing I have noticed in all the postings about installing TH liners is that no one has ever mentioned sizing the liner.  In many cases it might be too long and protrude into the bore.  This is of importance to the newby who is installing one for the first time.  If it protrudes into the bore, it will act as a patch grabber when cleaning and also as a fouling trap.  I always trim mine to at least bore diameter and land diameter if the barrel wall is of sufficient thickness.  Often this requires a bit of filing inside the bore and slight countersinking to remove the inside edge.  Final installation is not complete until these operations have been done.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »
  I would also UNPLUG the drillpress before turning the chuck.or pulley.

EXCELLENT idea and one I had forgotten.

Bob Roller