Author Topic: Stock shape concern  (Read 2991 times)

Uncle Alvah

Stock shape concern
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
I am wondering if the are any special cautions or concerns showing in this pic. Not the greatest pic but you can see where I have drawn in the ramrod hole location and stopping point.
I noticed that the stock in the lock area has a considerable "step" in it. The wood underneath most of the ramrod hole is about 1/4", but as you can see, thinner near the end.
Thoughts and opinions appreciated

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Stock shape concern
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
Can you give us a few more particulars, such as barrel size, web thickness, ramrod size, what kind of wood it is?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
what calibre bore?  what size rod hole you have drawn?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
Generally there is not much wood under the RR hole when the gun is finished. It looks like you have somewhere in the neighborhood of an eighth of an inch, perhaps a bit less. That will work, it is generous even. You will want to remove that "step," and reestablish your centerline, before you get to shaping the forearm. A #4 Stanley hand plane would be ideal for shaving off the excess wood, a coarse rasp, or a band saw would also work but be extra careful with a band saw.

For those asking; the stock is ash.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
Alvah,

Is that the touch-hole is see peeking out in the upper right corner of the picture?  If so, why is the ramrod hole stopping so far from the breech end of the barrel?  I like the hole to end even with the breech end of the barrel.

You mentioned the "wood underneath most of the ramrod hole is about 1/4".  As PPatch said, take that down to about an 1/8" or even a tad less.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
f so, why is the ramrod hole stopping so far from the breech end of the barrel?   

I can't really say why. I sent the blank out to have the barrel channel cut, ramrod hole drilled, and the stock rough shaped.

Barrel is an "A" profile Colerain American Heritage swamped, 44" .36 caliber .950 at the breech

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 08:42:26 PM »
Just judging from the proportions I see in the image, I'd say you are drilling at least a 3/8" rod hole, perhaps even 7/16".  If you make the hole 5/16" instead, you'll have more wood under the hole to work down after drilling.  It will also give you a shorter vertical dimension that greatly improves the profile of a longrifle.
I'll bet you do not have a blueprint plan for this rifle.  I'll go further and say you're drawing the rifle on the wood, and hoping for the best.  Good luck with that.
I'd be pleased to be corrected.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »
Well that changes things doesn't it?  The hole is already in the wood, and if it is where you have indicated, you are good to go.  You have sufficient wood below the hole if you don't go crazy.  You can, at this point, remove wood to get the forearm at least parallel or better, tapered slightly - deeper at the breech end.  You can also drill out the hole another 7/8" or so until it is even with the breech plug.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
I'll bet you do not have a blueprint plan for this rifle.  I'll go further and say you're drawing the rifle on the wood, and hoping for the best.  .

I have the plans from TOW for their Tennessee Rifle but thats all I have to work from.
I don't know exactly what you mean by "drawing the rifle on the wood". All I have "drawn" is the bottom of the barrel channel and the ramrod hole.

Good luck with that
]

I'm doing that best I can.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
I have a more basic question which is how did you determine the holes dimensions. .  I drill down from the barrel channel with a 1/16" drill to locate the front and rear bottom of the ramrod channel.  I drill  up from the area under the front extension of the trigger guard and from under the rear extension of the entry pipe to find the top of the ramrod hole.  I measure these dimensions with a depth gauge and lay that out on the side of the wood for a reference.   I find the rear end of the ramrod hole with a 1/8" dowel because is smaller than the hole and can be directed easier than a ramrod which might get hung up on debris or rough spot in the hole.  Have to be careful and check the layout of the hole as I have discovered  some holes which give a false reading if the drill ran out one side or the other, so I watch how the smaller dowel angles from the center line.  But if your drawing is correct you have more than 1/8" wood below the ramrod which is more than enough as others have already said. If you leave more wood than that the gun will look too thick.     

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
   I have a more basic question which is how did you determine the holes dimensions. .  I drill down from the barrel channel with a 1/16" drill to locate the front and rear bottom of the ramrod channel.  I drill  up from the area under the front extension of the trigger guard and from under the rear extension of the entry pipe to find the top of the ramrod hole.  I measure these dimensions with a depth gauge and lay that out on the side of the wood for a reference.
I'm not following all that completely, but perhaps I should erase what I have drawn and be more precise measuring it again?
I believe the hole itself is 5/16" but I'll have to check it again.