Author Topic: 14 gage rifle  (Read 1664 times)

Offline JCKelly

14 gage rifle
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles, Lt. James Forsyth,1863, available from abebooks for around $7 - 15, makes an interesting distinction between a military rifle and a sporting rifle.

In battle if your rifle wounds an enemy, well, he is out of action. However when hunting in India it is not at all advisable to wound a tiger.

With respect to projectiles - ". . . any surface sharper than a hemisphere reduces the shock given to an animal very much, although the actual diameter, and consequently the striking surface, of the ball be the same . . . I do not approve of the sharp pointed cone; it does not produce sufficient concussion, but enters the animal more like the thrust of a sword than the blow of a bullet; there is not sufficient shock; there is as much difference between the blow of a hammer and the thrust of a dagger ..."

I'm not much of a hunter, just recall being amazed at the instant effect of a body hit with a .42 cal ball on a squirrel vs attempting to bring one down with a .22.

For those who are serious hunters, and have ever considered any bullet other than round ball, this book is a good education. By a man who hunted in India.

Oh, yeah he has a lot to say about rifling, twists and groove design. Would make for a fine argument/discussion. If you like to hunt very large animals you might want to get this book. A sportsman's experience, not theory.

Offline Daryl

Re: 14 gage rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:57:58 AM »
James - I bought mine back in 1984?, through the Buckskin Press.  We started assembling parts and Taylor build me my rifle in 1986. At the time, Track was out of 1 1/8" English square breeches, so we had to use a Hawken breech for my 1 1/8" straight octagonal barrel. My rifle came out at the 'correct' weight of 9 1/2 pounds, thus is indeed a pleasure to (watch someone else shoot itlOLOLOL) just kidding, it's not bad. The over 2" wide butt plate helps tame her down.
As soon as he say it, my hunting buddy ordered a .75 from Taylor which was built to Purdey plans.
Mine - held lovingly by my late, very good friend, Brad. Brad owned her for a while, then sold her back to me - claimed he couldn't stand my whining any longer.

Taylor's 16 bore Lang.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

Re: 14 gage rifle
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »
Glad you got that little book, JC. It's a great read, however I will admit I read my copy about 3 times before I understood everything he spoke of. Some of it was no correct, but it was written in 1862. Oh well. Good book, good read = especially the addition on explosive 'shells' and their effects on game.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V