Author Topic: Refitting a new stock to a modern jaeger  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Frod

• Starting Member
Refitting a new stock to a modern jaeger
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:38:52 AM »
Hello all

I have obtained a relatively new made Jaeger rifle that I would like to replace the stock on.  It has a swamped 54 cal. barrel.  I am presuming that the builder probably used a pre-inletted barrel channel stock.   If I obtain the dimensions of the existing barrel, is it possible to determine who might make a Jaeger stock with the swamped barrel already inletted (at least mostly inletted)?  I do not now have the skills to do swamped inletting from scratch, but I can do the rest.  Forgive if this is a dumb question.  BTW, I am presuming the builder started with a pre formed/inletted stock as the exterior indicates a beginner who probably wouldn't start from scratch.

Thanks!

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Refitting a new stock to a modern jaeger
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:44:25 AM »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:08 AM »
Frod,
I would suggest that you send your barrel with the wood you want and marked where you want the breach placed and if you want cast off or not. Jaeger's have big butt's typically and you may want to do some drawing out what is going to work best for the style you have in mind with the wood you want. If your out west Dave Rase does a bang up job inletting barrels for several builders here on this sight. I have done my own on the first 15 and the one after that I sent to Dave and I tell you I will never inlet another swamped barrel by hand again. Plus he does the ramrod groove and hole that is spot on. He is meticulous in his work and knows his stuff.  Good luck in your project.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
I just re-read you post and you are looking for a precarved Jaeger stock that has a barrel inlet that matches your barrel profile. Dave is not yet set up for patterns for precarves so your first reply for http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/ is a good place to start.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Frod

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  As of yet, I have not removed the barrel from the stock to see if there are any markings not visible from the top.  Perhaps that will give me a barrel makers name?  Do most modern barrel makers mark their barrels in some way?  Are there any codes or abbreviations to look for?  I am hoping to find a stock with the barrel inlet matching my barrel.  Do all barrel makers make "standard" sizes and profiles?   Thanks

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
Frod, If that is a 31 inch barrel it is probably a common profile that most barrel makers are using. Get some measurements and compare to these.

http://ricebarrels.com/chart.html
Ed Hamberg

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »
If you can inlet a lock, there's no reason why you can't inlet a barrel.  Jack Brook's site has a tutorial on the subject.  Just take your time, and it'll be done.

http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."