Author Topic: New Life for an Old Double  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
New Life for an Old Double
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »
An acquaintance of mine had acquired a percussion double barrel at an auction, and asked if I could do a bit of restoration work on it.  The barrels are about 37-1/2" long, have English proofs and are marked "London fine Twist" on the top rib.  The ribs were loose in a few spot and the nipples were broken off and rusted in place.  I felt the barrels had some potential, and the locks were in good working order so I told him I would try to help him out.

I have to apologize but I didn't many of before photos, but I did get a couple of not so clear pics of the barrels:

I did some cleanup of the barrels using emery cloth, and the more I worked with them, more issues became apparent - additional loose stuff and lots of rust, as well considerable pitting on the outside of the barrels.  The further I got the worse it looked!

Turned out the barrels weren't even solidly connected to each other anymore, so I separated them completely.  The barrels, ribs, and parts were then soaked overnight in Evaporust, draw filed and polished with emery cloth.  Notice the part numbers on the underlugs!  The breech plugs refused to budge even with heat and considerable torque, so they were left in place.

Barrels were degreased, then the barrel contact points were covered with a silver solder paste from Brownells.  I installed the hooked breech to help insure proper alignment.  The barrels were clamped together and clamped down on a solid, level metal ShopSmith table before braising.  Two mapp torches were utilized for the heat source.

Swif 95 solder paste was applied to the barrels and top rib, then wired together every couple of inches.  Cut nails were used as tensioning devices - the more the nail was driven in the tighter the joint got.  The top rib and barrels were heated with mapp torches and soldered together.

Similar techniques were used to solder the bottom ribs, lugs and loupes.

The excess solder was cleaned up with chisels, gravers and emery cloth and the metal polished up with emery and sandpaper.  The barrels were then hung outside and browned using heat and chlorine bleach.  The barrels were rinsed with clear water when cool enough to handle and then carded with a wire wheel and/or #0000 fine steel wool between browning sessions, depending on how much things needed carding back.  I think I applied the bleach about six times.... it's a subjective process and will be different for different barrels.  I found the barrels didn't have to be hot enough to sizzle the bleach in order to brown, but had to be hot enough to make it evaporate immediately.  When the browning process was complete, the barrels were washed with household ammonia and water, then dish soap and water, heated with a torch to dry and sprayed with WD40 and left to hang for three days to watch for further rusting.  When I was satisfied the barrels were not continuing to rust I degreased the barrels and applied two thin coats of Permalyn sealer.  After that dried I put a coat of paste floor wax on them.

The locks were disassembled and cleaned, then reassembled and greased.  Notice some color case was still visible on the bridles!

The ramrod that came with the gun was repaired, and a new one was also made to go with it.   The original ramrod had been spliced before but the added part was missing.  I made a fairly crude but serviceable repair utilizing the original splice.  Okay, perhaps very crude...

The nipple holes were cleaned out and tapped ten thousandths oversize, and .010 oversize square shank nipples were used as replacements.   It was difficult to capture the barrel twist in photos, but here are some pics of the finished gun:

If I were to brown another set of barrels in this fashion I think I would try a 3 to 5 second dip of the barrels in a 15% ferric chloride solution between browning sessions, it is supposed to accentuate the light and dark areas of the steel.  The barrels could also be boiled between browning sessions for a black color as opposed to brown.

Thanks for looking!

Curtis

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:57:23 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

greybeard

Re: New Life for an Old Double
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
Curtis. You did a great job on what is a very difficult job. Ask me how I know. Congrats, Bob

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
Nice job, Curtis.  Bill Brockway would've been proud.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
Good to know, Curtis. Thanks for this information.   Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Great job  !!

Offline davebozell

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »
Looks amazing.  Thanks for bringing her back to life.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Very nice work. Congratulations!

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
Curtis, Nice Job!!! That is a LOT of work!!  I helped a friend put some barrels back together ,some years ago. It can be a hair pulling experience. It always gives me  more  respect for the men who did it originally . I love to see people SAVE old guns.  GOOD DEAL!!!     Nate

Hemo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
Great job and nice pics, Curtis! Never heard of using Clorox to brown metal, only to do horrendous pitted antiquing. Those barrels came out great!
I see a signature on the lock plate, but I can't quite make it out. Do you know the maker?

Gregg

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
Really nice job on the barrels Curtis.  That is no small feat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
Interesting work.  Thanks for sharing.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 04:10:24 AM »
Thanks for all of your kind words guys!   It really was a lot of work, but it was a very rewarding job.

Gregg, the locks are inscribed with I. Hollis and Sons, and there is a stamp on the bottom of each barrel I. H. & S.

I forgot to mention that I also cleaned up the bores with a brake hone, I rigged up an adapter to connect it to a steel rod.  It did a great job of it.

free pic hosting sites
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:43:25 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
Gregg,

I too was unfamiliar with using bleach for hot browning a barrel, but it is described in detail in both of the excellent books pictured below.  I was pleasantly surprised to find there was absolutely NO pitting or accelerated corrosion generated by the process.  I was able to brown the twist barrels in one afternoon.  Six or more sessions with a cold browning process would have potentially taken days.

Bill Brockway's book is pretty much the "bible" for working with double barrels, the Gary Hankins book compliments it and fills in any blanks left from Brockway's book.  Among other things it details multiple breaching options.  If I'm not mistaken SingleMalt was fortunate enough to have received some mentor-ship from Brockway in years past.

Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/304/1/BOOK-RDBMLS

The Classic English Double Barrel: https://doubleflint.com/

free image hosting for websites
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:48:04 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 03:08:39 PM »
Gregg
Another one saved yes you have done a good job  I see you used the same principle has I have done for the past 60+ years .There is some things that I would have done such has the breech plugs ,when the barrels were parted I would have had them out .I would have used a cold brown for Damascus barrels it gives you a London grade finish ,I use  a old London formulary  but a good finish is the preparing and the finish , Has for WD 40   I would never use  it
Feltwad

Offline ScottH

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Curtis
Very nice restoration. Is the gun shootable now?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:35 PM »
I don't know which is better, your work or your documentation and explanations.   ;)

Great job Curtis!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »
Nice work Curtis,
that must have been a lot of work.  I enjoyed seeing the process!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 04:20:46 AM »
Thanks for all of your kind words guys!   It really was a lot of work, but it was a very rewarding job.

Gregg, the locks are inscribed with I. Hollis and Sons, and there is a stamp on the bottom of each barrel I. H. & S.

I forgot to mention that I also cleaned up the bores with a brake hone, I rigged up an adapter to connect it to a steel rod.  It did a great job of it.

free pic hosting sites

Curtis, you did an excellent job of a very difficult endeavour.

I-too have used the brake cylinder hones as an excellent way to open up shotgun chokes that are too tight.  I found that after the stones wear out, that contact cemented-on emery cloth (of any grit #) was even better than the stones & "tailor" made for the process.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
Great job, Curtis!  That's quite a project...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 06:44:53 AM »
Thanks again for the comment, fellas!

Feltwad, that old London formula sounds interesting - would it be possible for you share it with us?

ScottH, yep it is shootable.

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson