Author Topic: Octagon to Round Barrel Lugs  (Read 3875 times)

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Octagon to Round Barrel Lugs
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »
I’m the proud new owner of an octagon to round barrel. The thought crossed my mind about the barrel lugs on the round section.  Are they usually soldered or is there enough “meat” to dovetail them into place?  The barrel is a Colerain 16 gauge Griffin fowler barrel.  I thought it’d make a nice smooth rifle.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

n stephenson

Re: Octagon to Round Barrel Lugs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
I normally solder them on the round part. I have seen a few that were dovetailed. I just always felt safer soldering them and, they will hold well ,as long as you have a nice clean solder joint.  JMHO  Nate

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:09:24 PM »
I also solder them on. On A weight and some B weight barrels I solder the middle lug on also. Bob

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:23:05 PM »
I solder them on with silver solder so that I can use a soft low temp. solder for attaching the front sight that is
usually just above the forward lug.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Lugs on the round portion of my smoothbore barrel are soldered.  A dovetail there would keep me up at nights.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »
I used this stuff on my fowler's round underlugs, simple, strong and very easy to use.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »
I have been using Brownells Hi-Force 44 solder for the last 40 years. It flows at a very low temperature, is easy to use and holds great. I have never had a joint fail in all the years I have been using it.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

54ball

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »
 I suppose soldering is easier. Dovetails are fine as well. As far as thickness on a modern Smoothbore barrel there is plenty for a dovetail.
 Another method is to cut out a slot and stake the lug in.
 The main issue is keeping the orientation correct on rhe round barrel.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
Why couldn't one dovetail, then if still not sure, also solder lightly.
Seems like that would really be strong?

I have only done a couple round barrels, but what I have done is file a recess for the lug but then solder it without dovetail.
Never had one come loose.

While on this subject, my only reservation is the torch I use.  It is bigger than needed.
Can anyone suggest a smaller, finer tipped torch tip available???
I have a couple round barrels left that will need lugs, as well as front sites and I am always trying to improve my methods??
Thanks

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »
I dovetail all my barrel lugs on round barrels.  My dovetails are .030" deep.  After installing the barrel lug I file it flush with the barrel.  On occasion I have added solder to the joint.  I have never worried or given it a second thought.  Besides that, the barrel lugs on the Brown Bess musket wewre dovetailed and brazed. 
David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »
Realize that the barrel is the structure once you get past the grip. After the entry pipe, the all lugs are doing is holding a little sleeve of wood to the barrel. if your barrel is ultra-thin, soft solder the lugs on.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »
My thanks for the informative replies.  David Rase has a point about Brown Bess lugs being dovetailed and brazed into place. 

On a full octagon barrel, it's easy to locate the center line of the flat to install lugs.  What's the best way to do this on the round section of a barrel?  I thought of several ways, but none seem to be very good.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 03:07:44 AM »
A 16 bore smooth rifle will make a powerful hunting gun, indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 03:31:28 AM »
A 16 bore smooth rifle will make a powerful hunting gun, indeed.

Indeed so.  I rather like the idea of something that can stop a cement truck.   ;)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:01:45 AM »
On a full octagon barrel, it's easy to locate the center line of the flat to install lugs.  What's the best way to do this on the round section of a barrel?  I thought of several ways, but none seem to be very good.
I find a flat surface that is as long as the barrel.  Normally I use the top surface of my table saw.  I set the barrel, bottom flat down, on the flat surface.  Next I lift up the round part of the barrel and place a small flat file or one of my small mild steel lath bits under the round portion of the barrel.  While holding the flat section of the barrel firm on the flat surface I run the file or the tool bit up and down the round part of the barrel in the vicinity of where I want the lug to be, thus making a scratch mark on the bottom center of the round barrel.  If you have a hard time seeing the scratch you can use a Sharpie marker to darken the area before scribing.  This technique also works for the front sight as well.
David   

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 05:33:48 AM »
Excellent idea, David!  I don't have a table saw, but I do have a large piece of steel that won't flex that should work well.  Clamping it to the arms on each side of the vise should be substantial enough.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »
Similarly I position the barrel so Tgi top to bottom, whichever needs marking, is levelsidevto side. I don't care about breech to muzzle.   If the tang is the only flat surface use that.  Then I take a bubble level and place that atop a draw file, and draw file the area where sight or dovetail is to be placed.

I see no advantage to dovetailing the underlugs on the round portion of a barrel except it might save 1/32" of forestock thickness.
Andover, Vermont