Author Topic: PLATED INLAYS  (Read 3516 times)

Offline louieparker

PLATED INLAYS
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
Are you aware of any Kentucky rifles or pistols made between  1805 and 1825 that had plated inlays..  I have handled more than a few of these guns and have seen only two. Both are by the same maker. One rifle and one pistol. Where the plating has worn away it aged to look like iron. But it will not attract a magnet. I don't think its brass or German silver. Any thoughts ?. Louie

Offline 120RIR

Re: PLATED INLAYS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:55:50 AM »
Perhaps a generic "pot" metal?  At least during the mid-late 19th century that's what I've seen on plated silver table and flatware and also on decorative coffin hardware.  I don't know the specific alloy but I'm sure it has a significant proportion of tin and/or zinc.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:39 AM »
I have a Samuel states rifle. The side plate is brass and plated with silver. It's also from the same period you mention.  I have not removed any other inlays to see if they are plated.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 01:41:41 AM »
Louie, I have a Prosper Vallee, Philadelphia swivel breech that has a running deer inlay on the cheek piece that was silver plated. It looks to be an iron inlay, but I haven't checked it with a magnet. The trigger guard also looks to have been plated. I have also seen two Salem, NC guns with plated hardware.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »
My curiosity got the best of me. I checked the running deer inlay with a magnet and it is not iron,but it sure looks like it.

Offline rlm

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
The inlays in question may well be Sheffield plate, a process  developed in England in the  mid 1700s. This process  was used until electroplating replaced it. Sheffield Silver was produced by meltIing silver on top of copper sheet.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
THE BASE METAL ISN'T COPPER. I PRICKED IT WITH A NEEDLE AND ITS A WHITE METAL. SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED TO ME THAT IT COULD BE A TIN MIXTURE. I CAN SEE IT AGING SOMETHING LIKE THIS.  THE PISTOL HAS A BRACKET FOR HOLDING A BELT HOOK MADE OF A PLATED METAL THATS THICKER THAN THE INLAYS. FOR SOME REASON I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE  A PLATING PROCESS THAT WAS DONE IN THE RIFLE SHOP. BOTH THES GUNS WERE MADE ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. I DOUBET THEY WERE VERY ADVANCED AT THAT TIME PERIOD. IS THERE A PLATING PROCESS THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD ? I AM ATTACHING A PHOTO OF AN INLAY. THANKS.....LOUIE

Online Carl Young

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 12:38:39 AM »
Hello Louie, I don't have any direct information, but here are a couple of sources on historical gilding technology that may give you some clues. I hope this helps; if you want a copy of the Oddy article I can order one and send to you.

Best regards,
Carl

[1] Gilding: an outline of the technological history of the plating of gold on to silver or copper in the Old World
Author  W.A Oddy, M.A., B.Sc.
https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-9327(91)90085-P
Abstract
In the Old World gold was used for ornamental purposes as a symbol of wealth. The physical properties of the metal enable it to be easily hammered into thin sheets and this led to the application of gold to the surface of base metal objects in order to improve their appearance and enhance their apparent value. Gilding technology developed from the simple wrapping of gold foil around an object [depletion gilding] to the sticking of gold leaf to the surface in a number of different ways. Eventually fire-gilding was developed, and was used for 1500 years until supplanted by electro-plating.

[2] The Cyanides of Gold THE HISTORY OF THEIR KEY ROLE IN ELECTROPLATING
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF03215451.pdf
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »
Thanks Carl !   I will check those out.....LP

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
Louie,
I have a Casper Fordney rifle that has what looks like a gold wash on the brass butt plate, RR pipes, etc. Whatever it is, its wearing off in some areas, exposing the brass under the surface
gold-ish color.
John
John Robbins

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
JTR I have seen the gold like finish that you speak of. I had forgotten that. It sounds like HLbly has a gun with the same sort of plating as the one I speak of.  I have trouble imagining a gunsmith in the Mississippi river valley plating metal in the early eighteen hundreds..  But it seems they did.

The two guns I speak of were made by Phillip Creamer. As I recall he set up shop in Illinois in 1805.  it would be interesting to know if used plated metal while in Maryland.   Thank everyone...Louie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
I have seen a lot of table silverware that was made of nickel silver as a base metal, plated with fine silver.  A possibility...?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.