Author Topic: Preparing mink oil-lubed patches?  (Read 9702 times)

Offline john bohan

Re: Preparing mink oil-lubed patches?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 04:49:20 AM »
I was told at a gun shop that the more you used bore butter that it would build up in the bore,making it harder to load. I used the stuff for quite a while,I noticed my short starter looked like it had 20 coats of paint on it,bore butter. I use mink oil now,love it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »
Bore butter is good for greasing up the trash can.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 02:11:55 AM »
When I use mink oil, I simply put the number of patches I intend to use in an outing on a plastic cutting board, and run the grease into the patches.  When one side is done, I turn them over and rub the grease into the other side as well.  Coating only one side wouldn't work for me.  My ball/patch combo is tight in my bores, and the extra lube makes loading, even in winter, almost effortless.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 04:05:12 AM »
I have been for the last little while here on ALR promoting 100% pure Neatsfoot oil over TOTW mink oil/grease not because it is better but because the Neatsfoot oil is about half the price and I believe works just as well. Not long ago I bit the bullet and bought a couple of cans of mink oil/grease because it will go into the "grease hole" on my Mathew Gillespie rifle (see my article under contemporary builders "Don Bruton/Mathew Gillespie tribute rifle). It is for the record every bit as good as the N.F.O. and I can put into my grease hole. Will use both depending on what type of shooting I am going to do.
Two of the rifles I use cut patches on I rub the patches on both sides with mink oil until thoroughly saturated. On the rifle I cut at the muzzle (.32 caliber way too small of cut patches to deal with trying to center on the barrel) I melt the mink oil and soak the strips until saturated and squeeze out the excess.
The "Muskrat" has spoken
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 06:26:55 AM »
Wonder if a fellow could blend neatsfoot and mink grease?

Mike

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »
Mike from OK: I have both I will mix up a small tin and let you know what it is like.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Online Steeltrap

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
I take the lid top from the TOTW mink oil canister, and with the rubber jaws on my bench vise I hold the lid there. I then slop a scoop of the mink oil into the lid....take my propane torch and melt it. Then I dip each patch into the pan and squeeze out the excess with my fingers. When I'm done I just put the lid back on the can. No "transfer back" is needed.

It's messy but it gets the job done.

I put the lubed patches into a plastic bag for keeping.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 05:06:35 AM »
Mike from OK: I mixed equal parts TOTW mink oil and pure Neatsfoot oil. I do believe I got the best of both very slick and easy to apply. If there is a downside it is a very soft grease and I believe if I was in the South or Midwest where the heat is so much higher along with the higher humidity it might turn liquid sooner. So not so good if you want to carry some in a little tub or in a grease hole. For that I still favor DGL patch lube. It is a derivative from the famous DGL bullet lube used in the BPCR circuit. I have used it for years and love it. Unfortunately the owner of DGL sold out and the new owners I do not believe are making the patch lube. I still have 6 -8 twelve ounce tubs of it (enough to last several shooters decades of quality lube). It is what I will be putting in the grease hole of my new .32.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire