Author Topic: Another bag that is a Work In Progress  (Read 4963 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Another bag that is a Work In Progress
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
Another bag adding to my inventory that will most probably finished later today.  Essentially the bag is 4 oz veg tan that I really added muscle to the leather prior to dyeing to get as mildly distressed and soft.  Multiple different dyes hand applied and oiled and more muscle added to keep the look.  Surely once in the sun the color variation shows up.  A little reminds me of old time 'bark tanned' color.  Either way, the firmness has been taken out a bit.  Another area I found that is a pain in the butt is the entry to the bag.  If you have big hands you almost to have to use both hands to hold the flap open and then go in the bag with the other.  Soooo, what I did on this one and another that I have done is to make the front of the bag is slightly an 1/8 inch wider on each side.  When the bag is then sewn together and turned inside out (dry, no water) you now have the entry that is a bell-mouthed look.  You can see this in one pic.  The flap is a piece of 5-6 oz and then tooled as well as slight tooled on the straps. 
Please give me your critques, I've made of old leathered hide, I can take it. 
Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Another bag that is a Work In Progress - FINISHED.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:19:42 AM »
Here's an  update on the bags completion. 
Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Another bag that is a Work In Progress
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:50:51 AM »
Gary, that's a nice pouch ya got there. I really like the color. Is that one of Tony Robert's buckles on the strap........Frank
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:53:27 AM by Lt Frank »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:02:10 AM »
Frank, why yes it is one of his forged buckles.  They do a great job and have fair pricing.  I'll probably make another order in a couple of weeks as I run out of the supply I have.
Thanks for your compliments.  The color is a combination of mahogany, brown and some russet.  All applied in different stages although it is still dominately mahogany.  In the full sunlight is what the color you see, but is darker in other light.
Gary

Jefferson58

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
Gary:

That is a very nice looking pouch. I like the shape and the work on the flap.

Out of curiousity, how does one contact Tony Roberts in regard to the buckles you are using. I would love to have a source for good, forged buckles.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Jeff,  Sorry about that.  You should be contact him via his website, Mountain Top Trading Co.  Here's the link:

http://www.mountaintoptradingco.com/index2.htm

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
Jeff, Actually as I perused the buckle page I noted that they are actually made by Steve Baxter and he should get the due notoriety. 
Gary

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
I'm getting ready to order more buckles myself. I have one left from my last order. I have noticed several bags around the net with MTTC buckles since we had that little chat. They look nice and they are not to heavy, much lighter than brass.  I sometimes use a 1/2" buckle to attach my horn straps with and I am going to try some of his small buckles for that and see how they will look.

You are doing some nice bags, so keep up the good work........... Frank

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:13 AM »
Frank, yes they do look alot better than some.  I do have a couple of the 1/2 inch buckles that I plan on using for horn attachments myself. 
Gary

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 06:19:54 AM »
Gary....I just placed an order with Tony last night. Got some 1 1/2",  1  1/4",  1/2" and I am going to try some of his D rings. I need to get busy between now and the CLA show in Aug. Can't seem to get anything ahead, maybe that is a good thing but it makes my fingers sore. Tony has a 1 1/2" oval buckle that looks nice also.