Author Topic: Cole want a rfle made  (Read 5616 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Cole want a rfle made
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:47:26 AM »

Since I do not make long guns anymore I;m passing this  on.  Cole is looking for someone to make him a rifle
Hey
good afternoon over here in Houston, Texas! I asked who
would be the best person to talk to about having a black
powder flintlock rifle made and I was pointed in your
direction by a fellow. I can't remember who his name
was. My name is Cole Griffin, I'm 20 years old and work
on a towboat for 20 days at a time. I'm saving up some
money to have a simple yet elegant flintlock built for me.
I've seen some pics of your creations and I have to say
that i am truly Impressed by your work! I was wondering if I
could get you to price me one? I'd like mine to have a
English walnut stock or curly maple, a rectangular patchbox
that when a button is pushed, it opens up from the top and
falls down open. The barrel I'd like to be octagonal. I
saw one of your hunting rifles that you made and took a deer
in 2007 that had 2 forward sight blades I found rather
Interesting. Id like mine in a .50 caliber, 40-42 inch
barrel, 1 - 60 twist, double set triggers, I also really
admire the lock on the said hunting rifle. Could you tell me
more about that hunting rifle? I'm pretty new to all of
this so I'm still trying to understand a whole lot of
stuff about these rifles. If you could shoot me an email
back at ____________@yahoo.com i would ever so appreciate
it at your earliest convenience.
Warmest regards,
Cole

I have removed Mr. Griffin's email address.  I you wish to contact Mr. Griffin, contact Jerrywh.
-Ron
ALR Moderator

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:16:18 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Cole want a rfle made
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Aw, just go ahead and build him one Jerry.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »
this sounds like an odd rifle. It has 2 front sight blades and a patchbox that opens the opposite way of every other patchbox?  I'd be curious to see this

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
 This guy is new and I don't think he knows how to explain just what he wants.  I wouldn't make fun of him. He just needs some help. 
Think back when you started. 

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
        Sounds like about I/3 of my customers.  They have seen and admired longrifles their entire life and when it comes time to get one they ask for a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle....which is about like saying "I want to buy a car."   It is the job of the builder to educate the client and try to dig our of his mind's eye  exactly what he wants.   Having a good library handy to allow the client to look through is helpful when they can get into the shop.  Sometimes it takes a lot of questions and then following up with examples of what you think the client wants.   It is sometimes frustrating, but if you persevere you will likely end up building a very good relationship with the client and very likely a repeat customer....Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
This guy is new and I don't think he knows how to explain just what he wants.  I wouldn't make fun of him. He just needs some help. 

Thanks Jerry,
You are 100% correct. They aren't necessarily dumb just not familiar with terminology and often are very eager to learn.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:41 PM »
        Sounds like about I/3 of my customers.  They have seen and admired longrifles their entire life and when it comes time to get one they ask for a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle....which is about like saying "I want to buy a car."   It is the job of the builder to educate the client and try to dig our of his mind's eye  exactly what he wants.   Having a good library handy to allow the client to look through is helpful when they can get into the shop.  Sometimes it takes a lot of questions and then following up with examples of what you think the client wants.   It is sometimes frustrating, but if you persevere you will likely end up building a very good relationship with the client and very likely a repeat customer....Ron

Good post Ron.

Tim

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:40:40 AM »
I wasn't making fun. I was genuinely curious. I guess maybe he meant a double leaf rear sight? I could see a patchbox opening the other way.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
Hey Jerry - With all due respect, I would yank this guys contact info out of the posting and have any interested folks here contact you via PM or directly for his contact info.  Posting email address or phone number in a public forum is setting him up for a deluge of spam!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

lostinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
sad................this is why I've left the forum before.............
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:40:42 PM by lostinthewoods »

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »
...........a patchbox that opens the opposite way of every other patchbox?  I'd be curious to see this

He could be referring to a Bucks County style patchbox perhaps with the hinge all along the bottom edge. That would open at the top parallel wtih the comb and drop down.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
sad................this is why I've left the forum before.............
I'm curious as to what you find so offensive?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Pretty sure that he wants a patchbox with the hinge along the bottom. In regard to the front sight, might he be thinking of a front sight with an insert? If so, I might even remember the one he is thinking of, though I can't confirm that it was Jerry who made it.

I agree that you should edit out the contact info from your post.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

54ball

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:13 PM »
 This young man is new to Longrifles and has tried to describe some features he likes. Honestly I think he would be happy with a really good basic rifle, especially when he learns how much a good longrifle costs.......about the same as 3 top of the line bolt actions....

Since this is the ALR, I don't think this was posted to make fun of his request but it could be interpreted that way. Sadly that would be the case on other on line places.

This young man is a youth and I think the best case as far as the ALR is concerned, is to invite him here and let him learn and speak for himself. Personally I think his private correspondence should not be posted for the world to see.

One last thought.....this young man has done everything right. He has approached the builder. Personally I think it's poor business for a builder to contact the potential customer.

I don't think it's right.  I just don't.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:51:26 PM by 54ball »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
54Ball- good points. I-too think he should be invited here for a while, where he can see lots of rifles and learn the nomenclature.

He would thus be better able to express himself.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
 Eric. Good point. I just deleted the Email address. anybody interested in building a gun for him can contact me.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »
I agree that Cole is looking for a patchbox with the hinge on the bottom.  I also think Cole is talking about a folding leaf rear sight.
David

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 12:00:52 AM »
I second what Daryl said,bring him aboard.He will have a lot to look at and read about.What better advertisement in seeing someones work as well as styles.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:47 AM »
  Curious but could the fellow be asking for a single blade sight. But with a double base. Like what Hershel does on some of his Woodbury style rifles? Just a thought. Oldtravler

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 04:44:15 AM »
  Curious but could the fellow be asking for a single blade sight. But with a double base. Like what Hershel does on some of his Woodbury style rifles? Just a thought. Oldtravler

That was also my first thought, but then I remembered that other sight which, without the bone filling between the two pieces of brass, did look very much like what he is describing.

Apart from the front sight, it sounds like he wants a fairly standard longrifle with a side-opening box. Hope that he gets it in due time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:46:36 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
this sounds like an odd rifle. It has 2 front sight blades and a patchbox that opens the opposite way of every other patchbox?  I'd be curious to see this

Well here are your opposite opening boxes

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
That's a NC detail.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
 That is right Mike. But my impression is he likes a couple things from different schools of longrifles.
  Someone should contact him an really see what he wants. Then build it.
 If your a gun builder by progression. Here's a willing client. Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
That is right Mike. But my impression is he likes a couple things from different schools of longrifles.
  Someone should contact him an really see what he wants. Then build it.
 If your a gun builder by progression. Here's a willing client. Oldtravler
Thanks, but I'm no longer seeking commissions. I'm sure somebody here has contacted him by now. I'm guessing he has sticker shock as well. Many potential new buyers are shocked at what these guns cost.