Author Topic: Long rifle not completed  (Read 2529 times)

Uncle Alvah

Long rifle not completed
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
These are some pics of a project rifle I came by last week. It belonged to a friend who passed away some years ago. It has sat untouched for probably 20 years.
42" H&H swamped barrel, .54 caliber, 1.12 at the breech. 1.0 at the muzzle.
I know almost nothing about the various schools and styles of Longrifles. I had never talked to my friend about this rifle so I have no idea "where he was going" with it.He had built 2-3 rifles before and IIRC, all were Hawkins. Might this have been for a full stock Hawken style?
I would much appreciate opinions and ideas on how best to pursue finishing this gun.

Offline taco650

Re: Long rifle not completed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:53:42 PM »
Do you have all of the parts to build a complete rifle?  Stock shape?  Length of pull?  Lock type, etc. these might give you a clue as to the direction he (or you) could go with it or... you could just sell what you have as a package or part it out.  Show a pic of the entire stock, barrel and lock as that might give a clue.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Looks like a nice piece of wood and of a Lancaster style to me -- is it a full stock - is it cut for a barrel (straight or swamped) - do you have any other parts?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:00:20 AM »
Looks like a nice piece of wood and of a Lancaster style to me -- is it a full stock - is it cut for a barrel (straight or swamped) - do you have any other parts?
Yes, full stock.
The barrel channel and ramrod hole are done, along with some of the buttstock shaping. Who actually performed this work I cannot say. The only parts I have otherwise is a butt plate and a set of triggers marked with a "D" inside a small circle.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:20:59 AM »
Are you sure it is a swamped barre? Don't remember H&H making swamps
  Taper and straight only

Hardware and cheekpiece photo would be  helpful

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
Hardware and cheekpiece photo would be  helpful

Of course, I should have thought of that. I'll grab some here shortly.

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
In have no hardware save the triggers and buttplate. Not sure if they were even intended for this rifle.

Are you sure it is a swamped barre?
Muzzle

Breech

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
I'm wondering if the barrel was maybe worked/profiled at someplace other than H&H?