Author Topic: First build with a finishing question  (Read 6822 times)

brik

Re: First build with a finishing question
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
Yeah I think that is what I'll end up doing. Mainly bc it gets me hunting sooner with it. Lol.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
I wonder if a going over with 0000 steel wool before the sun dry would help it cure better. Just a thought.  :)

brik

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
Smylee I after reading some other post on here I was just wondering same thing. Ok so my thought was if after the first coat it is pretty much sealed then I got 2 more coats on there and the last coat if I had to venture a guess I'd say was 95, 98% dry that if I rubbed it with 0000 steel wool it would knock the shine off some and maybe remove the little extra on there that isn't 100% dry? 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
I was kinda leaning the way you are talking about but as so many others here have said, you really need that first coat to be as dry as can be,IMHO, so you can add additional coats over that and of course you want those to be dry before you apply one over it. It all takes time and if you live in a humid local it will take longer than those living in the south west for example. I think you could still go hunting with it now and do your finish this winter when it most times will be dryer.

brik

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 01:01:04 AM »
Yeah smylee I dropped the ball on that one. The next gun I build I will make sure I give it a good 24 hours then put on thinner coats after first one

n stephenson

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Brik, Be careful, if you get on it with steel wool and, it is not totally dry. You could end up with a gummy steel wool encrusted mess. If there is still uncured finish underneath and, you cut through, the steel wool will stick in it, NOT PRETTY !.  I would still WAIT until it is dry. JMHO  Nate

brik

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 01:34:24 AM »
Thanks nate. I don't want to risk that then. I have already messed up or should I say learned enough from one gun build I don't need anymore "learning experiences" on this gun. Lol.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
Maybe I missed this, but what are you using for finish? 

I'm with Nate on this.  Do not steel wood an incurred surface.  It will be a mess.
If it's an oil varnish......sunlight, UV light will help, but there is no substitute for proper application.  Their instructions say to wipe off any excess remaining on the surface.  Hence the drying time. It's supposed to dry slower to allow penetration.
Hang it in the sun for a day, and you will know for sure if it will help.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:41:34 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

brik

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
 Smallpatch it is Laurel Mountain Forge Peramalyn Sealer and it feels hard and dry today. That was the 3rd coat of it on there. I believe the wood is sealed and safe to use with no risk of damaging the wood after 3 coats but could be wrong. That assumption is just based off what others here have said and from other post made on this forum. I believe I'm going to shoot it today so I can hunt then after season maybe add one more. I really like how it looks now. Well... I mean it looks no where near as good as the many I see on this forum but I'm pretty happy for first build. I'll try and get some pictures up later today after I shoot. Thanks all

brik

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that helped me with this that it did finally dry and looks good. I'll probably put one more coat on but not right now. Thanks to all.

n stephenson

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
Brik, That`s a good looking rifle.!! Now build another one , so you can make some new "learning experiences" LOL!  Glad it worked out. Nate

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »
Brian,

This looks great!  Congratulations.

Jim

brik

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
Nate, thanks. I'm saving up for another build already and excited for it. Just got to practice my carving and engraving lots b4 then.

Jim, thanks. Thank you for all your help and sorry for the countless phone calls.  Looking forward to the new kit when it is ready!  Next time if I have to stop out I'll bring some steaks for everyone over the fire.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
Nice looking rifle but the squirrels are so bored with it that they fell asleep I guess.
Andover, Vermont

brik

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
Lol yeah. Thanks.