Author Topic: Virtual Musem & Library - How come no early military rifles?  (Read 2793 times)

Rich Jakowski

I know many folks on this formum are interested in Southern flint rifles made by master craftsmen of days long past, but I sure would like to see some nice original early military rifles. How about some original 1803 Harpers Ferry rifles for starters.

Don't get me wrong guys I like those old Kentuckys too, just a plea for a little more diversity
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:37:44 AM by Rich Jakowski »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Virtual Musem & Library - How come no early military rifles?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:45:18 AM »
I suspect the reason is that no one has taken the time to photo, document and send it the information.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 05:05:01 AM »
Our focus is on Kentucky Rifles as an American Art form and we have no plans to add martial weapons.
Hurricane

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
Another thought...

As Fred stated, we have no plans to expand the Long Rifle Library past the present venue. While there exists interest in other types of period firearms, they lie beyond the scope of our ability.

The hope has always been that the Library and Museum project will stimulate interest among those involved in contemporary and martial pieces to set up parallel projects. Both are worthy of the effort involved in our opinion.

Should there be interest (and we hope there is),  Fred and I would be honored to assist with technical details. As most of you are aware, this has been a labor of love on our part. Neither of us have benefited in any way from a financial perspective, nor have we attempted to capitalize on the opportunities such a site might afford us.  The same can be said for our review committee.

What I'm getting at is that we'll be happy to help anyone as long as there exists no commercial interest nor profit motive. The reasoning being that without the incentive for personal gain there's absolutely no reason to present or promote any particular exhibit in favor of another. Note that potential values are never discussed nor are names divulged.

Our goal is to educate, promote, and entertain. We believe that presentation of a unique collection of fine American folk art will lead to increased interest in the subject from a much broader audience than could be reached at a gun show or any single display. So far it would seem that we've been correct.

So gentlemen... Who amongst you will step up to the plate? It's really not that all that difficult to accomplish such a project and much of the work has already been done.

Give me a call or drop me a mail.

B.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.