Author Topic: Installing sights  (Read 3073 times)

Offline mountainman

Installing sights
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:35:39 AM »
I don't know if there is a subject about this or not,  I have a question, is there a way to correctly install front and rear sights, so that when you go to sight it in, that you wouldn't hardly have to do any adjustments? Any Ideas? Would love to hear how you guys do it..

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Installing sights
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:00:34 AM »
Pretty much shoot and file,shoot and file for me.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
There are ballistic calculators that will give you the sight heights.   I have an Excel spreadsheet that I created to calculate the height of the front sight based on the rear sight.   It is on my web site and the link is http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2014/04/front-sight-height-calculator/    The caveat is that you need to know your muzzle velocity.    I usually guess pretty well so that I never have to file much off my front sight.    If I have been careful in setting my sights in the shop.   I am usually at least shooting in the rings at 50 yards, if not in the black.     Once I get the gun grouping in the black,  I leave it to the customer to do more.   

Offline taco650

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
A related question... How do you determine the correct position of the REAR sight?  I'm thinking ahead to my next build which will be my 3rd ever and the first with no dovetails cut in the barrel.  I'm in my mid 50's and need to use reading glasses so... What factors do I need to take into account to get it placed the correct distance from my eye?

Fiftyfour

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
What I did was to put temporary sights on the barrel using double sided tape. Shot it a few times and measure d the height off the top of the barrel if the elevation
Of the impact on the target was reasonable. The tape only lasted a few shots but it seemed to work. If it hit high I put a taller temporary from sight and tried again.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
To determine the right place on the barrel, take it out doors and put the sight on the barrel and slide it back and forth to where it looks right for your eyes then move it ahead 1/2 inch and that would be my position as long as it doesn't rest right in the middle of the rifles center balance point.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
In calibres around .45 or .50, I've observed that the sights will end up very close to the same distance above the BORE, or at least, that's a good place to start.  Larger calibres require a higher rear sight.

Sight placement:  front sight somewhere close to the muzzle - examine originals or pictures of same for reference.
Rear sight:  either 'fore or aft' of the balance point, so the sight doesn't wear a hole in your hand.  Older eyes want the rear sight closer to the muzzle:  near the entry pipe is usually where mine end up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline taco650

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:00:38 PM »
In calibres around .45 or .50, I've observed that the sights will end up very close to the same distance above the BORE, or at least, that's a good place to start.  Larger calibres require a higher rear sight.

Sight placement:  front sight somewhere close to the muzzle - examine originals or pictures of same for reference.
Rear sight:  either 'fore or aft' of the balance point, so the sight doesn't wear a hole in your hand.  Older eyes want the rear sight closer to the muzzle:  near the entry pipe is usually where mine end up.

Thanks to you and Smylee grouch for the advice!!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
With my older eyes the rear sight is usually forward of the breech area about 12"s, and a bit forward of the balance point. I then measure the height of the notch at the top of the "U" (or "V") of the rear sight, and purposely fabricate the front sight so that it is a bit higher than that measurement. Align both so that they are centered along the barrel. The bullet impact will print a little low at 30 yards but centered within acceptable limits, I shoot a few strings without moving or filing the sights to see how it prints on target and, of course, for grouping. Once I move out to 50 yards I get serious about powder charge, but keep the same ball/patch combo, and shoot only for grouping again. Once I have a tight grouping I will normally have file a bit off the front sight to raise the impact point, and if needed move the rear sight very slightly left or right. This is how I've done every gun I've built, it works, and isn't too much of a hassle to have the gun shooting bullseyes soon enough.

In short: fabricate your front sight a bit higher than the top of the rear sight, center the sights on the barrel. Only file the front sight when you know how the gun groups.

dave
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:36:37 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
If you zero at 25 yards, you've a good chance you will also be zeroed at 50yards.  This, of course depends a lot on the height of the sights above the bore.

Once you have a 50 yard zero, try holding 1/10" to 1/8" of front sight above the rear sight's flat and putting that in the middle of the target usually gives a 100yard zero.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mountainman

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks all for you comments,  and especially Mark Elliott  for the chart you come up with...