Author Topic: NMLRA Seminar Jaeger Rifle Class  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Ron Scott

NMLRA Seminar Jaeger Rifle Class
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
I received notice that five of the eight spaces in my Jaeger Rifle class are filled. This Rifle  has a set of splendid mounts( high relief chisel work) that I am in  process of reproducing. The participants will start out with a Ed Rayl Swamped barrel inlet into a European Walnut blank.  We will inlet the major parts and get the stocks shaped during our nine day session. This sliding Butt Trap has a cast lid and I plan to demonstrate the process of mating it to the stock and butt plate. During the session we will make casts of the decorative carving to serve as models for each participant at home. The original Rifle will be in the classroom during the session for examination and measurements. Extensive photo CDs will be part of the materials package.  If you have an interest contact Brenda at the NMLRA office 812-667-5131.

For anyone revisiting this post, I want to clarify that the project will be made as a flintlock using the Lock that Chirs Laubach illustrated several weeks ago on this forum.
I am hoping that one of the moderators can make this a sticky posting.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:20:50 PM by Ron Scott »

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: NMLRA Seminar Jaeger Rifle Class
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Just a note to any members that have not attended the NMLRA seminar, seriously consider doing so. It is worth every dime and you will have more fun (and work harder) than you ever have being around guns. I had built guns for over 30 years before I first went, I learned more from just the first class than in all those 30 years. You will improve your skills exponentially and meet some great people besides.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »
What will the total cost for the class and materials be?
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
Signed up and SUPER excited about this course.  Absolutely love jaegers.  One question though, will there be an option to do this as a flintlock or will it be percussion only?

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
The Rifle will be made as a Flintlock, I should have stated that earlier. We will be using the Jaeger Lock that Chris Laubach illustrated several weeks ago on this forum. The tuition which is processed through the NMLRA is $1060.00 if my memory serves me correctly. I try to keep the materials list from exceeding $800.00. If parts suppliers have a volume discount, I pass it on to the participants. The biggest variable is stock blanks. Students have the option of  using there own blank. I have some dense dry blanks that are available in economical grades as well as upgrades in color and figure.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:42:55 AM »
Any chance of obtaining a set of castings from this Jaeger?  You can't find unique parts such as these.
Dan Akers

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
I usually try to have some extra sets cast, as there is generaly some demand for them and I try to keep some for in shop use. Send me your specific contact information and I will put it in my notes. It will be spring before the waxes are sent to the foundry.  If you have an interest in one of the profile specific barrels from Ed Rayl, I might be able to get one or two extras.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
I would love to get on a list to get a set of those castings if there are more being made. They look fantastic.

Mikecooper

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:24:06 AM »
I would like to get a set of those castings also as I have a lock and would like to build a jager around it.

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »
Ron, did you send out an e-mail about the upcoming course?  I got something that says it's from you, but looks a bit suspect.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »
yes I did

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
Class registration is up to ten people now. I just shipped wax's for the mounts to the foundry.

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »
Outstanding!