Author Topic: house rifle  (Read 5570 times)

projeeper

house rifle
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: house rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:58:31 PM »
Looks like a House "influenced" rifle to me, The work is a little rough to be a signed House.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »
I thought the same thing Mike

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
If I recall correctly this gun was listed for sale on the CLA site last year as a "Dan Casey - Hershel House" build - something to do with a project associated with a Cantor's Cave (Jackson Ohio) class that Hershel helped with. 

Guy

long carabine

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 05:52:21 AM »
 Does not look like anything the house brothers would build, to rough and to steep of a price.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »
If you read the ad carefully it refers to the barrel being hand forged by Hershel.  It does not say any of the other parts were made by him or that the gun was stocked by him.   Again, I believe the barrel was a project or demonstration done in association with a show a couple of years ago and the gun was actually stocked up by Dan Casey in the Woodbury style.

If it were an all Hershel-built gun with a hand forged barrel the asking price would be a steal.

Guy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
If you read the ad carefully it refers to the barrel being hand forged by Hershel
I'm pretty suspicious of that too.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »
I don't know the details - but from the past description of it on the CLA site it sounded like  the barrel was probably a class project or demonstration at Cantor's Cave up near Jackson Ohio.  I've not gone to that show but I think Ian Pratt has - he might know. At a minimum it looks like someone other than Hershel did most of the work on the gun.

Guy