Author Topic: Finishing a Kibler Kit- Sight in before finishing?  (Read 2808 times)

fourwinds

Finishing a Kibler Kit- Sight in before finishing?
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Hi all, I am putting together a Kibler kit in 36 cal. I only lack pinning the barrel and installing the touch hole liner. I wonder what the order of operations are with regards to adjusting the sights. Would it be better to sight it in before filing sight dovetails, draw filing and finishing the barrel? Or would I just finish it out and make windage adjustments to the rear sight? Thanks for any tips.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:42:17 PM by fourwinds »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Finishing a Kibler Kit- Sight in before finishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
Finish the rifle then sight it in. I have finished 2 of them and both were close enough that all was needed was filing front sight a little.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

fourwinds

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
Thanks Dennis. I don't need to do any filing to the base of the rear sight do I? Thanks for entertaining my questions. I'm new to this.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Thanks Dennis. I don't need to do any filing to the base of the rear sight do I? Thanks for entertaining my questions. I'm new to this.

You should not need to file the base of the rear sight.  Just make sure that the bottom of it is smooth, i.e. no casting/machining spurs etc. 

The sight will likely not slide fit in the dovetail that Jim did for you.  You will have to open up the dovetail just a small amount.  Do it slowly and trial fit as you go.  You need a three corner file with a safe-edge for this.  Safe edge goes on the bottom, and one file edge opens up one side of the dovetail.  Again, go slow and trial fit it often.

If you don't have a three cornered file with a safe edge, you can buy one, or make one out of a three corner file by grinding off the teeth on one edge.  I would recommend buying one, that way you know it is flat and true. 

You will have to do the same with your front sight.  This is the same final operation that is done when you make your own dovetails.  Jim has done the hard work for you, but any pre-done dovetail will have to be slightly undersize so that the sight or lug does not slip.

Hope this helps.  Just occurred to me that this might be redundant if you have already done underlugs.  Can't remember if Jim installs these for you.  If redundant, my apologies.

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

fourwinds

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
Norm,

Thanks for the input. I've got a safe triangle file and I have already fit both sights and all underlugs. I was referring to the extra brass that'll need to be filed off of the front sight to get it flush with the barrel and questioning if the rear sight overhang metal would need to be filed flush with the barrel (didn't look like that'd be the case but I figured I'd ask).

Oddly enough the rear sight was a perfect fit as is. The remainder had to be filed to fit.

My hats off to all of you who build from scratch. The Kibler kit has been straightforward. But, I learned is that I have a lot to learn before getting more adventurous.

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
Finish the gun first then sight it in. When you file the front sight make take a piece of belt leather, cut a slot in it and use it for a guard to help protect the top flat of your barrel from file slips. Hold it in place with masking tape. I use ram rod scraps for punches to bump sights side to side with out marring them or the barrel. BJH
BJH

fourwinds

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks all. Finish supplies arrive mid week. I will post it up when I get it finished.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
Fourwinds,
sorry, I misunderstood the question!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »
I think I did too, I thought you were talking about where the rifle shot in relation to point of aim. When you cut the vee in the hind sight be careful not to cut too deep. Wait until you get to the range and see where the point of impact is then file sights to change impact until its where you want it to be.

Oh, I sight my rifles in at 25 yards rather than 50/100 yards. When its where I want it at 25 I check I at other yardages. When zeroed to POA at 25 it should be close to POA at 100.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:13:02 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »

I was referring to the extra brass that'll need to be filed off of the front sight to get it flush with the barrel and questioning if the rear sight overhang metal would need to be filed flush with the barrel (didn't look like that'd be the case but I figured I'd ask).

I think what you are asking is whether you should file the sides of the front/rear sight to be flush with the top flat of the barrel.  In other words, make the rear sight width the same as the top barrel flat width (same for the base for the front sight)?

If that is your question, then generally I think the answer is no for the rear sight.  I'd have to go back and look, but I think most original rear sights were wider than the top flat of the barrel and left that way.  Allows for adjusting the sight in future without making it look funny.
As for the base of the front sight, I believe I have seen it both ways: filed flush on the sides of the base, or sticking out.  I have learned never to say "always" or "never" with regard to this sort of thing!

Have a look at other mountain rifles in the ALR library and decide what you wish to do.

For what it is worth, I don't file the sides of my rear sight to make them less narrow, and did not file the front sight base flush on my Kibler SMR. 

Cheers,
Norm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:18:57 AM by Chowmi »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA