Author Topic: "Doughy " Brass ?  (Read 4357 times)

n stephenson

"Doughy " Brass ?
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
Since I build a lot of different styles of guns , I use buttplates and gaurds from different sources, as the ones I need aren't always available from one source  . Any one else find that when engraving some mounts , mostly investment castings , that instead of a smooth curl , the chip comes out more like a crusty, doughy curl . The cut doesn't usually look that bad , but I notice my graver dulls quicker in this metal .This metal seems harder too.  Any remedies or solutions for better results?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: "Doughy " Brass ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
Good morning  N Stephenson,

The brass that chips may be a mixed recycled alloy, but am no expert.
All I can think of is to anneal the brass before you start work on it.
That should help, but very soft brass is a bit harder to engrave, as the tool wants to sink more.

Trial and error on a waste piece maybe?

Best, and good luck!

Richard.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »
Seems to be hit or miss on castings. Most castings seem to engrave Ok but occasionally I will run into one that seems to have inclusions or hard spots, I have even had some that looked nice and smooth and when engraved, had big chunks tear out. I think Richard has a good point, might be impurities from recycle brass. Reeves Groening's castings, at least the old ones done by the foundry he used to use, were the best, they were smooth and soft.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:44:13 AM by Ky-Flinter »
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
I don't have a problem with brass investment castings. My problem is with Goehring's brass. So soft I can't engrave it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
Investment castings are rarely brass. They are generally some type of bronze, which can make filing, polishing, and engraving more problematic. I prefer sand cast yellow brass, but then I’m not building guns to sell, where the time to clean up these rough castings make it cost prohibitive. I also don’t get all upset when I uncover a small void, or pit, in these castings, because many of the originals had these defects as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:33:59 AM »
Knob Mountain castings are a pleasure to work with and engrave.
http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:11 AM »
I don't have a problem with brass investment castings. My problem is with Goehring's brass. So soft I can't engrave it.
   If your graver has a tendency to dive in soft brass try a 55° or a 60° face angle on it. The steeper the face angle the less tendency the graver has to dive.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
   If your graver has a tendency to dive in soft brass try a 55° or a 60° face angle on it. The steeper the face angle the less tendency the graver has to dive.
Correctamundo Jerry. I always reshape my gravers before I attack that stuff other wise they dive straight down ad that's it. I still don't get results I like.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »
 If you think brass is tough to engrave you should try gold.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
If you think brass is tough to engrave you should try gold.
Never done it, I'll have to take your word for it. ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 03:10:26 AM »
I thank you Jerry for the engraving words of wisdom. I would like to try engraving gold - now I need someone to send me some, just for practicing on?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
You can practice on pure lead to see how gold engraves.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
I  have always done as Jerry advises when engraving softer material once an engraver friend of mine showed me. I never have had a problem with the tip diving in since. I just use a lighter touch, you're not driving railroad spikes with your hammer. Dead soft sterling silver is a delight to engrave.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:05 AM »
I gotta wonder if there might be a little too much zinc in the alloy.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
 Sometimes the zinc in brass will be in pockets. or in small inclusions