Author Topic: Finding info on a Ferguson build?  (Read 4529 times)

Offline moodyholler

Finding info on a Ferguson build?
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:58 PM »
I am wanting to build a ferguson military rifle and reading posts here and other places have me wary. I wish to build a .65 cal and want it right. I know my screw needs to fall .700” in 1 turn. The threads are shaped like v or acme threads? Where do I buy my barrel? I can make my Breech from 1018 or 4140. Do I want a class 1 or 2 fit on the threads?
Thanks in advance!! moodyholler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Finding info on a Ferguson build?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
Not something I would attempt even though I would enjoy owning one. you get a medal for bravery.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 01:47:28 AM »
I own a Ferguson made by Phil Beers from Minnesota. I believe mine is a sporter version. It was made years ago (late 8o' maybe)and is a fine piece of work. As best I can tell the barrel and breech are one piece it appears to be about .62 cal. The breech block unscrews in one turn and the trigger guard stops against the trigger. Thus you don't have the block ( breech screw ) falling out having to do all sorts of gyrations to keep it in while you load the rifle. I shot it years ago when the previous owner had it at the range. It shot fairly well. If you can contact Phil he can probably give you some insight into making one. Tim

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:30:46 AM »
The threads are V type and are "double pitch" or "double start" type.  The Rifle Shoppe sells plans of the Ferguson rifle but doesn't have dimension plans of the breech. The plans show phantom lines of the breech area without dims.  The TRS plans state that the military breech screw "had 11 independent threads not 10 threads as the sporting models do. The breech screw is also considerably tapered to prevent binding."  The Rifle Shoppe sells all the parts for the Ferguson rifle, but that is another issue in itself.

I know that somebody on another muzzle loading forum built the entire Ferguson breech section from scratch and had started about January 2014.  I had copied some of his posted photos at the time, but I don't have his description of the build.

Good luck with your project, Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:22:01 AM »
Hi Taylor made one years ago, for a local lad who was missionary-ing in Belgium. I tried to post a picture, but this site prevented it.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the photo-upload feature.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:37 AM »
I know my screw needs to fall .700” in 1 turn.

No A Ferguson rifle's screw falls  1 inch in one turn.         

Shortest-cheapest- smartest route is to Order up a set of parts form TRS- really go this route. If you want to learn you can always turn a replacement screw out of bronze  to fit the action they send you.  If you want to preserve the money you invest in the parts set, pony up another equal or greater amount and get one of the builders on here who have experience with the #513 TRS kit to build it for you. Or Talk to Ernie Cowan and see if he is still building them. 

If you are serious about doing it your self  Read/study Screw Cutting on the Lathe by Martin Cleeve. (and then read the Multi start section a 100 times more)

Get Dewitt BAiley's book on Flintlock Military Rifles it is the best source of data on the Ferguson AND some much better looking breech loaders. You might even decide a ferguson is too ugly and crude for your taste compared to the 1730s Utrecht gun.

Order a barrel from TRS they are the only ones with something that will work off the shelf and maybe the only ones with the deep grooves needed.

Search on here for the .50 cal ferguson sporter thread. Pics are gone but the authors description of how he went about it is simply priceless for we newbs. 

Studying the Ferguson is a worthwhile endevour just do not expect that anything is going to come quick or easy.  I started my build from scratch with no machine knowledge etc the day my wife started med school- she will be done her project before me. But I aint too bright or focused so do not let that discourage you.
Have fun with it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
Hi Taylor made one years ago, for a local lad who was missionary-ing in Belgium. I tried to post a picture, but this site prevented it.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the photo-upload feature.
Daryl,
What type of problem do you get. Have not had a problem with posting photos.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »
That's one of my "bucket list" builds.  I'm interested to see how you make out with it.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
If you can find a set of plans from Steve Skylaney (sp.) you will have everything you need. His blueprints were very detailed and full scale.

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »
What is this treasure of which you speak? Would anyone know anything more about these drawings? I have not come across any reference to such work in a pretty exhaustive (and expensive) few years of research. My collection/bibliography is in desperate need! Amazing how 3 mins on ALR trumps the best a trained historian with access to the worlds' academic catalogue of knowledge can muster.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:46:39 PM by ddoyle »

Offline wormey

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
I built mine from a Rifle Shoppe kit and am very pleased with the outcome.  Components were of the highest quality.  Not a build for the faint hearted, but not all that difficult either if you have some rifle building experience.  Mine is a joy to shoot and had been on my bucket list for 40 years.  Glad to have checked that one off.  Still believe there were some at the battle of Kings Mountain.! ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 03:16:08 AM »
I was going to post some pictures of the Ferguson Taylor built some years back, but found I had none in my computer.
THAT was a gun gun to shoot.

Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
I built a Ferguson from TRS parts.  This thread may have some information you might find useful:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6184.0
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
TKS Dave, I recall that thread - nicely done. I had hoped Taylor would see this thread and post his Ferguson pictures to it.
Daryl

ltdann

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 01:26:17 AM »
I'm a little unclear and hope someone can clear the fog.  Is the TRS kit not a complete set of parts? 

I've read quite a few posts (new and old) that talk to the threads on the breech screw and I'm getting the impression that you're expected to manufacture that as part of the TRS parts set.  Am I misunderstanding?

TP

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 02:42:19 AM »
It is complete, see:

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(513).htm

Part 513 BABUF   Barreled Breech Unit Finished   $895.00   

Expensive, yes, but the work is difficult and time consuming.

ltdann

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 03:32:11 AM »
I thought so, but I was beginning to wonder. :o

I get that it's expensive, but what's more difficult about the build then any other?  I only ask since it's on my bucket list along with a lot of other folks :)

D

ddoyle

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 03:46:58 AM »

The TRS breeched barrel and screw is by and far the best deal in ML parts in all history. It is almost maddening that they can offer it at that price.  Someday, and I guarentee this, people will talk in hushed and wistful tones about the days when you could buy 3000 dollars worth of barrel and machining for 900 bucks.  I am told by at least one respected source that just pulling off the deep rifling is a trick not lightly taken on by standard rifling setups. Stop by the local machine shop and ask them what it costs to cut 2 inches of 11 start thread on an MT taper. It aint that hard but someone has to do it and he could be profitabley employed doing something else- like maintaing a reactor or launching a satelite.  Looking for a secure investment? Buy a breeched barrel from TRS and put it on the mantle. I'd bet on it holding value better then anything offered at the bank.

Offline wormey

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
Amen, brother DDoyle.   Wormey  :)