Author Topic: About 5th build "Jaeger".  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

About 5th build "Jaeger".
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Morning Gents,

Made this one a long time ago as well.   
Was inspired by Geo. Shumway, and his book of M-Blast articles, The Jaeger Rifle.

Colerain "Jaeger" barrel in.58"
Track trigger-guard rather altered and such.
Lock a Jim Chambers English R-faced, somewhat altered to appear earlier and more Germanic.  Unbridled the pan.
Rest home-made.  As this was years ago and was shown on another forum, pics sometimes pop up on the net.  It still lives here though and some of the boys shot it at our annual shoot a year gone.
Never really did finish up the engraving, but it has been hunting with me for long enough.   
Stock Should have been European walnut, but I thought if I screwed it up it was better to screw up an American blank !  (Cheaper)
Blank was just that. not carved.
The horn M cap and ramrod tip are cape buffalo. Maybe not exactly right but on hand and V. dense.
Never had made set triggers before. I seem to have got one more set-screw in there somehow.
Odd thing is, you can set these triggers before you cock, on half cock or on full cock, and they'll work unset as well.     Pull off on set is about 4 ounces at most.
Butt -trap  has  a bit of same C. buffalo horn.
Apart from T-guard, rest of furniture is home-made out of scrap here on the farm.
Never did see a deer running along looking over it's shoulder, but that seems to be the way they depicted them at times back then.
Loosly (capital L) on one by Michael Waagner of Cronach, 1727 was it?
Deer seemed to be real camel -faced back then as well...
Polished and case -hardened the face of the B-plug, so we can see down the bore without a reflector. Shows if the bore's clean.
Sling swivel mounted on a strong lug on the barrel at muzzle.

Best regards,
Richard.

make image url
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:10:24 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: About 5th build "Jaeger".
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Nice to see another well made rifle.  You are quite an accomplished builder, and I hope you will post more of your work.  I viewed the images prior to reading your essay, and would have bet money that the wood was Honduras mahogany.  Nice colour and finish.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 01:00:41 AM »
Very nice indeed. Question about the muzzle, though. I see the grooves are filed out as normal for Jaegers, but the lands appear to not be filed out much or at all. Normal?  Seems to me, the Jaeger muzzles I have seen pictures off (50 or more), seemed to have both lands and grooves filed out to maintain their ratios of appearance.  This would be a filed crown approach, much like the radioused crowns we prefer on our rifles.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:35 AM »
You know Daryl,
I'll have to go and look at it!  I can't remember filing anything out on this one. I was thinking it was just as it came, apart from polishing the bore.
You have me wundering now!  ;)

I was only out hunting with it yesterday, but must still go look and see.
I'll get back to you on it.
I didn't really know what I was doing with the engraving, that's why it may appear mixed.

All the best,
Richard.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »
I like it.  You've captured the essence of an early 18th century Jaeger.  Good, inventive workmanship.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »
Very skilled work ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »
Beautiful! What's not to like. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:41:58 AM »
Very nice indeed. Question about the muzzle, though. I see the grooves are filed out as normal for Jaegers, but the lands appear to not be filed out much or at all. Normal?  Seems to me, the Jaeger muzzles I have seen pictures off (50 or more), seemed to have both lands and grooves filed out to maintain their ratios of appearance.  This would be a filed crown approach, much like the radioused crowns we prefer on our rifles.

Well Back again Daryl,
It appears the muzzle is just the way it came from Colerain.  The grooves are straight, not filed out at all, but the muzzle has a counter-sink on it, up to the grooves.  I had to go & check because it's probably 17 -20 years ago when I made it, so couldn't remember what I did.
I have another barrel up in the eves of the shop just the same and not touched yet, and it seems the same by what I can see.
Maybe I should have done something about that muzzle, but it seems to shoot so will likely leave it be after all these years.

Thanks for noticing it though!  I'll go back and look at pictures for it there's ever another time.  :)

Best regards,
Richard.

Edited to add;
Alex,

Pleased you like it,  but  sorry I have been posting a lot of stuff . ...   Just sort of arrived here, and have  some catching up to do, like 25 or 30  years of catching up!   ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:47:55 AM by Pukka Bundook »

ddoyle

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »

I cannot comment on the rifle, Germanic game animals or hounds. However I do consider myself well and qualified to say that: never before has Diana or any other woman been more perfectly sculpted in any medium! You captured some very real and tangible beauty.  You must have had a very good model when you engraved the trigger guard and you must be very commited to rifle building and cold water to have managed to find time to finish it.  I showed my wife the cariacture of the ungulate and then showed her the perfection of Diana, she chuckled and IMMEDIATLEY said "well it is much easier to convince a woman to stay still to be admired then a Deer" 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
Thank you for checking it, Pukka Bundook, but no matter how many times I look at that muzzle picture, the grooves appear to be filed outwards at the muzzle. I can see the overall chamfer, but the grooves do appear to me to be deepened even further - just at the top of the grooves (as-was done on all Jaegers I've seen and some NA guns as well - at least one original Hawken. Generally both are done and unless examined closely, are oft times taken for a square muzzle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
Daryl,

The grooves run  dead square to the ends.   I'll try and take a picture soon for you. Looking at it on this one photo they even look to me as you describe, but in reality they all run parallel to the muzzle, with a chamfer on the lands.  Grooves not filed out at all. 
I would very much like it to be right, LOL!  ....but it is as it is.    A photo dead square on to the muzzle might help clarify.

Ddoyle,

I thank you for your very kind words.  Very kind....and your wife is very perceptive!

Even the wee deer above Diana's head has one foot raised, ready to flee!
Thank you for your comments Sir.

Best regards,
Richard.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
What a gun!  You are not bound by "what's in fashion", and I mean that in a really good way. 

Richard, would you be offended if I based a scrimshaw horn image on your boar shown here?  I used to hunt those, and love your take on the beasties. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Marc,

Please just help yourself to whatever image you desire to scrimshaw.  But I would like to see your finish'd product , just out of interest .  :) ;)

Bound by fashion, No. I Am  Bound by interest though!  I have one I've just finished up. First "build" in maybe 10 years or more, (done repairs and such in that time though)  And it Is Different!    (And Kosha for this site, not like the Snider!  :-)  )
If it's not too OT,  where did you used to hunt the boar?
I've never seen one in the wild (yet)

God Bless in return Marc.

Richard.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
Many thanks Richard.  I will endeavor to not make a total hack job of your art and some poor unfortunate horn!

I used to go boar hunting up in Graham County NC near TN.  George Vanderbilt III imported Prussian Boar from Europe in the late 1800s and fenced them in on Hooper's Bald.  You know how that goes.  They spread like mad.  When I had time to hunt them they were considered game animals like bear (same tag).  Now they are shoot-on-sight horrible pests.  The only way to get them back then was with dogs jumping them up.  The pigs are/were nocturnal, so you needed the dogs.  I am not surprised you haven't seen one.  The pigs run up mountains better than dogs, so a ridge or mountain top is the best chance for having one run to you.

Thank you for sharing your talent with us sir!     

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline gusd

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
 Richard, beautiful work. Was the engraving done with hammer & chisel?
 wonderful work!
gus

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
Gus,

I think "Hammer and chisel" puts it perfectly!   Made the tools out of old 3-cornered files. (small ones but still old files for saw sharpening, not needle files)
Years later when I found some "proper" engraving tools, mine looked like cold chisels in comparison!
Also yes, Chaising would be the style I am most at home with.  I have now a few push 'gravers for fine lines, but am still happier running a  hammer and chisel set-up.
Pleased you like it. If I did it again, there are things I would definitely change!

Marc,
Thanks for the info on your boar hunting!  sounds grand and wild sport !
Look forward to seeing your horn.....

All the best, God Bless too..
Richard.