Author Topic: Repurpose barrel and lock for breakfast build  (Read 2325 times)

Fiftyfour

Repurpose barrel and lock for breakfast build
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:23 PM »
Does any one have tips or tricks for inletting a lock against a barrel that already has a touch hole drilled.
Does it just come down to good planning and paying attention?
I half thought of crazy gluing a 1/4 flat bar to the side flat of the barrel which the lock plate bolster would
Ride against while the lock is being inlet or making something that does the same thing out brass or Al
And is clamped on the barrel top as a guide. The guide would steer the plate bolster in to the correct
position as the plate is inlet. Please share you thoughts. Thanks

Offline BJH

Re: Repurpose barrel and lock for breakfast build
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »
It really goes to very carefull lay out. Then making sure you execute to the lay out. Check often with a steel rule rather than the mark 1 eyeball. You can get fooled just eyeballing across the pan. That being said it's easier to not have to deal with a touch hole that is already drilled. Be sure the barrel is pinned in place first, and a wood screw is in the tang hole, as I expect it is already drilled too. Replace the wood screw with a bolt once the lock and trigger and trigger plate is inletted.
BJH

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
When I inlet a lock, although the vent is not drilled, it is marked with a centre punch.  It is no trick to inlet the plate exactly to coincide with the mark.  But it takes careful layout.  With the lock stripped, and the plate prepared with filed draft, lay the bolster on the stock to align with the vent.  Using a sharp pencil, draw in the bolster, and then inlet it.  You obviously cannot get the bottom line, but you can find it having marked both ends and the top.  Once the plate is laying flat on the wood with the pan aligned with the vent, simply inlet the rest of the plate.  Then adding the guts, starting with the bridle....etc.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »
Taylor pretty much nailed it. That is as precise as it  can be explained. No need for anything else. Nate
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:40:21 AM by n stephenson »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:15:16 AM »
When I inlet a lock, although the vent is not drilled, it is marked with a centre punch.  It is no trick to inlet the plate exactly to coincide with the mark.  But it takes careful layout.  With the lock stripped, and the plate prepared with filed draft, lay the bolster on the stock to align with the vent.  Using a sharp pencil, draw in the bolster, and then inlet it.  You obviously cannot get the bottom line, but you can find it having marked both ends and the top.  Once the plate is laying flat on the wood with the pan aligned with the vent, simply inlet the rest of the plate.  Then adding the guts, starting with the bridle....etc.

On the few I have made,this is my method as well and I am not really a builder
of rifles.
Bob Roller