Author Topic: Jacob Georg (I. Georg)  (Read 10914 times)

Offline MKemper

Jacob Georg (I. Georg)
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
Anyone out there an expert on the work of Jacob Georg?  I have a Northampton original that has been attributed to his hand.  It has all of the classic Lehigh features.  I understand that Georg worked in the northeast Berks. Co. area (near Kempton).  Is that right?  Was he known to incorporate the Lehigh details?  Fluer de lis carvings, sheathed buttplate, "roll over" cheekpiece star, open-end nose cap, etc.?  Any photos of other Georg rifles out there?

Offline art riser

Re: Jacob Georg (I. Georg)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »
ask Kettenberg...

altankhan

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:15:42 AM »
I posted a picture of a Jacob Georg rifle (signed, with 1823 date) on p. 5 of this discussion. the gun has a 49inch oct to round barrel and a large engraved ovoid on the cheekpiece -- aside from Kettenburg's  site there are several photos of Jacob Georg guns in Jim Johnston's Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850 and one in Kaufmann.  I'd also like to see more photos of Georg guns...

altankhan

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:21:15 AM »
Not sure where you live but the Kutztown Historical Society (http://www.kutztownhistory.org/images/)
has several pictures on its website of a George rifle they have on display. They seemed real nice when
I exchanged email with them last year about the rifle and perhaps would allow one access.

All the best
Paul

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:43:16 AM »
MKemper - there are quite a few Jacob George rifles out there and in fact there very well may have been more than one Jacob who was a gunsmith.  The earliest JAcob George, probably working ca. 1790s through the 1820s period, was the son of Henry George who was a gunsmith and locksmith (alternately noted as both in period documents).  I have never seen nor do I know of any signed Henry George rifles.  I have also never seen a signed or unsigned (they're pretty easy to pick out, or at the least usually of very distinctive style) Jacob George rifle which looked like a 'classic' Lehigh rifle.  How about some pictures?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline eastwind

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
The Jacob George referred to here as being in the Historical Society of Kutztown will be one of possibly three George (Gorg) rifles (including a Henry George) in the up-coming exhibit - BERKS COUNTY LONG RIFLES & GUNMAKERS ~ 1750-1900 to be held at the Berks County Historical Society in Reading, Pa.

Anyone want more information contact me: Patrick Hornberger, Curator of the show at eastwind@hughes.net

Still looking for more Berks County gunmaking artifacts if any of you want to contribute to this important exhibit.
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 03:30:49 PM »
Pat.....when is this show happening?   Sounds interesting, let us know more about it, thanks................Don

Offline MKemper

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
The following are photos of the rifle in question.  It has a 48" swamped barrel.

Offline MKemper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »

Offline MKemper

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »

Offline MKemper

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
Nice rifle!  I like it a lot.  It certainly does look a George rifle, although short of a signature it's really impossible to say for certain.  Looks a little earlier than some of the 18-- dated and signed rifles.  How big is that lock?  Curious also if you have had that lock out of there and if there are any internal markings.  There are a few little details on it that I personally have not seen on any of the signed Jacob George rifles but maybe Patrick or Ron have.  I'd have to say you got good advice from Ron and it's probably about as much of an attribution as you can really make lacking a signature.  If Jacob George didn't make it, he was certainly eating kraut and drinking beer with whoever did!

Patrick - is the Henry George rifle you mention SIGNED or is it an attribution?  Sounds like a must-see exhibit!!!!!!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
The tang photo shows the wood behind the barrel as rounded over, rather than straight or scooped down to the barrel flat.  Is this typical of the region or Georg?
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
I don't know that there's anything "typical" for this region!  ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
I don't know that there's anything "typical" for this region!  ;D

Yeah, take a look at that topjaw screw ;D

Offline eastwind

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
Sorry Eric, et. al.--  forgot dates:
The HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF BERKS COUNTY--BERKS COUNTY LONG RIFLES & GUNMAKERS EXHIBIT will open November 12 and run through December 31. Held in their museum at 940 Centre Ave.in Reading City. Current plans are for a catalog and possibly a book showing the exhibit's artifacts.
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »
Oh, I really hope so.  These wierd Kutztown-region guns are absolutely my favorite.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline MKemper

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Eric, the lock on the rifle measures 5-3/8"

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »
My favorite reigon as well... by far! Thats a great rifle, id love a closer look! I havent seen that box finial before....at least I dont think so. The engraved borders down the sides of the box look like a couple of Stophel Long rifles ive seen, but who knows?

Offline MKemper

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
smshea, I too was curious about Stophel Long, as I had seen the similarities of his engraving on the photos in Ron Gabel's book on Northampton gunsmiths.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »
You could email your pictures to Ron and see what he thinks. He has a web site. Also, you could try to get a hold of Tim Lubinesky at Jacobsburg Historical society.... email them, he will likely get it. Ive seen a few rifles floating around that crowd that have something in common with that rifle. My guess is still George or Long. I have some pictures if you email me dierectly.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28:48 AM »
I'm not exactly sure where Stoffel Long was working but I always assumed it was very close to Jacob George.  The George's were up in Greenwich twp., Berks County ("A true and perfect inventory... which were of Joseph Henry George late of Greenwich Township in the County of Berks and State of Pennsylvania Gun Smith deceased" [1804])  Anyway, I was just looking through the estate papers of Daniel Christ (blacksmith/barrelsmith) also of Greenwich twp., 1824, and there are many names in accounts payable and receivable; some familiar names include "Jacob George Senr.," "Tobias Grob," "Stoffel Smith," "Andrew Fichthorn Junr.," and of course "Stoffel Long."  Still not sure where he lived and worked but he was doing business with the Christ smithy in Greenwich township along with Jacob George Sr.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 03:37:17 AM »
Hmmm.  Well whaddya know - there's a Stoffel Long aged 45 listed on the 1850 Albany twp. (right next door to Greenwich) census, occupation listed as Gunsmith.  This would make birth date 1805, so maybe a 2nd generation smith - a Stoffel Jr.?