Author Topic: Southern Longrifle Show  (Read 4631 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Southern Longrifle Show
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »
Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Elliot for coordinating the show Friday and yesterday in Norris and for inviting us from this board.

That really is a wonderful show if you are interested in southern rifles - got to see some great guns that I had never seen before, some great horns and bags as well, and it is a lot of fun.  Every time I go to one of these I see several guns that just really turn more of my preconceived notions about southern guns upside down.  It is really generous of the folks who display at these shows to share their collections with us. 

The Museum of Appalachia is worth the trip on its own - it's rare that you can attend a show in a setting that nice,  that is located right in the heart of the area where the rifles on display were made - it just gives this show a really unique feel.  I think this was my 4th or 5th trip there in the past 15 years and it always looks different - John Rice Irwin is still adding old log buildings so it changes every time you go there.

It was also good to see some of you guys who I only knew by name from the board as well.

Guy

Roy S.

Re: Southern Longrifle Show
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
Great show..
Great to put names with faces... or is that the other way around?  ;D

Ephraim

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »
Yes Great show I wanted to set a table but couldn't maybe next year.
Ephraim

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
Thank you, Guy, Roy and Ephraim, for attending the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show.  It was nice to put faces with names.
We had folks from 13 states displaying some wonderful rifles and accouterments.  The setting is unique and it is a very friendly group of folks.  Mark your calendars for April 23-24. 2010, bring your best to show, and let's have another great show.
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »
I love this show and had been to every one since it was moved to the Museum of Appalachia except the last two. Last year I had a family conflict and this year the guy that was going with me backed out and an 8 hr drive by myself is no fun!

Hope to get back next year, like Guy said its a wonderful setting and if you get tired of looking at longrifles you can tour the museum and take in all the great buildings and exhibits. Really a neat experience!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:10:31 PM »
As usual, this was a great show.  My wife and I have gone to this show for about 5-years now and it is well worth the 12-hour drive to get there.  The folks are friendly, the rifles great and the food is excellent.  I always leave having learned something about our hobby (obsession).  Thanks to all who brought their collections and allowed the rest of us to view them.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »
Art and Jan have posted a couple of photos from the show - the one that shows the group of 3 fine iron mounted guns with patchboxes (2 iron, 1 brass) was from a great display of rifles by John and Elisha Bull.  Really outstanding stuff.

Guy

David G

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:28 AM »
Thanks Wayne for your efforts in putting on this show and also to the collectors who brought their wares to see. There are always several special rifles there along with other things. Art brought along a huntin pouch outfit that was really nice! This is one of two shows that I have a chance to attend and if the good Lord's willin and the creek don't rise I'll be there next year. :D It's certainly a beautiful and approproiate setting for this show. ;)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Southern Longrifle Show/Bull Pistol
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
A really extraordinary John Bull pistol that was on display at the show is shown today in lots of detail on the Contemporary Makers Blogspot.  One of the finest surviving examples of a Tennessee pistol that I've ever seen.

Guy