Author Topic: Tough ‘mud’-like stain removal?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Tough ‘mud’-like stain removal?
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
Whilst my left-handed 50-cal 44”, B-weight flint longrifle is still at my custom builder’s place in-process, I decided I’d use my old Austin & Halleck 50-cal flint Mountain rifle for the upcoming late Winter flintlock-only deer season in PA this year.

I’ve always liked this flint rifle, browned barrel in roundball twist, as it also has a full caliber breech and none of that sub-caliber “patent breech” like the Lyman GPR or any of those Italian imports use. That said, it appears to have been a nice maple blank with some stripes in it, but hidden by a very dark almost ‘walnut’-like stain on it. So I decided to strip it, using citri strip, and refinish it.

The finish came off OK, but OMG the stain is on there like a permanent mud? So I’m now too far into it to turn back ... but does anyone know of a good stain stripping method other than mechanical removal like cabinets scrapers?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:18:14 AM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: Tough ‘mud’-like stain removal?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:54:33 AM »
I'd guess that if the stain is in the wood, mechanically stripping it may be your only option.  Since you've already removed the finish, scrape a small section with a single edge razor blade.  That'll tell you everything you need to know.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:54:25 AM »
Try a bit of chlorine bleach on a spot that won't show too much to see if it will lighten the color.

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »
There are wood-bleaching compounds that can be purchased. No idea if they will work for your application...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:07:24 AM by Black Hand »

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Well good thing there was a football game on, as I got it 90% stripped using scrapers. Only problem areas will the typical spots w/ end grain features - like the end of the cheek piece.

But I’ll try that chlorine tip - thanks again!

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
Many years ago I stripped a modern stock of its varnish  and then used oxalic acid {wood bleach} to undo the stain. It was walnut and the oxalic acid even made the natural walnut color disappear. Came out really nice after restaining. ....Fred

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
My guess is it’s not the stain you are having troubles with. Many production guns have a muddy sealer applied to them before the shiny finish. Italian imports are notorious for this stuff. I owned a Tryon that had a beautiful piece of walnut for a stock, and a nice thick coat of this goop hiding most of it. The only stripper I could get to touch it was one used for stripping epoxies, or aircraft, finishes. I got the stripper from an automotive paint store.

Hungry Horse

Black Hand

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
Some use acetone as the stripper - should dissolve (nearly) any finish but may not remove stain (as well as greases & oils). Use Acetone outside with solvent-resistant gloves, lots of paper towels and a good breeze to clear the fumes (or a solvent-rated respirator).

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
Acetone didn’t work for me on this stuff. It is some type of industrial sealer, that they combine with a colorant. The color will dissolve with acetone, but the sealer stops any new stain from penetrating the wood. I used an industrial epoxy stripper, and then sanded the stock with very fine sandpaper. This revealed any spots I missed because the sealer will polish to a shine, where the wood won’t. Depending on the density of the wood, the sealer may be mostly on the surface, or in softer wood quite deep for a finish. I had to redo a Navy Arms Harpers Ferry three times before I got it where spots of finish did’nt just rub off with a little handling.

Hungry Horse