General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

damaged bore

(1/3) > >>

Black Jaque Janaviac:
I've got a flintlock with a Colerain barrel and I'm thinking I might have damaged the bore through neglegent cleaning practices or gas blow-by.

First I've noticed a change in the load that it likes.  I used to shoot just about anything and it would be happy.  Now I need at least 110 grains of powder (Swiss 2F is all I've ever used in this gun).

Next, when cleaning I notice a spot right about where the ball would be seated when loaded over 100 grains (my usual hunting load).  I can't tell if this spot is a rough spot due to rust, or a slightly loose spot due to erosion.

Are there any clever ways to fix this?

Is it fairly easy to buy a new barrel and just put the pin lugs in the same spot and drop it in?   (I didn't build it myself, it is a TVM in-the-white).

mike e:
I'd take the breech plug out and see what it looks like inside. If its not pitted too bad you could polish it with 0000 steel wool or a scotch brite pad. Use lots of oil.

Dphariss:

--- Quote from: Black Jaque Janaviac on May 05, 2009, 10:04:57 PM ---I've got a flintlock with a Colerain barrel and I'm thinking I might have damaged the bore through neglegent cleaning practices or gas blow-by.

First I've noticed a change in the load that it likes.  I used to shoot just about anything and it would be happy.  Now I need at least 110 grains of powder (Swiss 2F is all I've ever used in this gun).

Next, when cleaning I notice a spot right about where the ball would be seated when loaded over 100 grains (my usual hunting load).  I can't tell if this spot is a rough spot due to rust, or a slightly loose spot due to erosion.

Is it fairly easy to buy a new barrel and just put the pin lugs in the same spot and drop it in?   (I didn't build it myself, it is a TVM in-the-white).

--- End quote ---

What patch lube?
Water based lubes used when the gun is to be loaded for awhile will often produce a ring where the wet patch sets in the barre.
Dan

Daryl:

--- Quote from: Black Jaque Janaviac on May 05, 2009, 10:04:57 PM ---   Now I need at least 110 grains of powder (Swiss 2F is all I've ever used in this gun).

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a descent load to me. ;D

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: Dphariss on May 05, 2009, 11:40:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Black Jaque Janaviac on May 05, 2009, 10:04:57 PM ---I've got a flintlock with a Colerain barrel and I'm thinking I might have damaged the bore through neglegent cleaning practices or gas blow-by.

--- End quote ---

What patch lube?
Water based lubes used when the gun is to be loaded for awhile will often produce a ring where the wet patch sets in the barre.
Dan

--- End quote ---
Yes, in particular when they are loaded after shooting and no cleaning and left sit for weeks months!!  Suggest wraping the scotch brite or 4/0 wool with a tight fit in the bore and work $#*! out of that area (just that area) before anything else. 
Then check with a very tight patch and see if she smooths out.  If she does then you can go merryly on down the road.  !  Let us know how she goes... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version